Stockton’s Port City Roller Girls’ last hurrah

1848
0
Port City Roller Girls and the Outlaws face off in the last game of the season at Stockton Indoor Sports Complex on Oct. 6. Photos by Catlan Nguyen.

Stockton’s Port City Roller Girls, attracted a modest, yet passionately supportive crowd against Roseville’s Outlaws in the team’s last game of the 2018 season on Oct. 6.

Port City Roller Girls went into the game with the knowledge the team had a slight disadvantage because of a player shortage , according to Syndie Quinones, who goes by “Synderella”.

Roller derby isn’t for the faint of heart as it is a physical contact sport.

“You are going to see so many penalties in this game,” said Port City Roller Girls Coach Billy Meyers.

This is his second season coaching the team.

Meyers has derby skated for five years and roller skated since 1965.

A notable athlete on the Port City Roller Girls was Sonya Christiansen, nicknamed Glamour Push #10.

It was her first game back in nine years and she has had a “good progression” dusting off her old roller skates, Meyers said.

Christiansen made an impressive blocker by taking hard hits against the Outlaw’s relentless jammers.

Held in the Stockton Indoor Sports Complex, nearly every fan in the arena was on the edge of their seat after each jam.

Jams are two minute races around the rink in which designated jammers try to lap the other team to score points.

Jammers are designated with stars on their helmets and have to break though the opposing teams relentless group of blockers. Every game consists of two ‘bouts’ or 30 minute periods.

Another notable athlete and jammer is Jamila Williams Thigpen, nicknamed Ms. PopHer #905.

She kept fans cheering as she lowered the point gap to eight during the second bout, or half of the game.

Two injuries sustained by the Outlaws left the crowd in quiet fear while the teammates were checked by the referees.

The crowd cheered with relief and admiration when players were escorted off the rink.

Though each team put up a good fight, the Outlaws won with a final score of 180 to 146.

“It was a little hard to see, because Port City lost and it’s the last game of the season but both teams played really well and I think it was well deserved,” said crowd goer and friend to Glamour Push, Mariah Peck.

The roller derby  season went from March through October, including four home games and two away.

For more information about the Port City Roller Girls visit portcityrollergirls.net or call (888) 993-3729.

Port City Roller Girls and the Outlaws face off in the last game of the season at Stockton Indoor Sports Complex on Oct. 6.
Port City Roller Girls and the Outlaws face off in the last game of the season at Stockton Indoor Sports Complex on Oct. 6 2018. Photos by Catlan Nguyen.