EDITORIAL: Stockton actively address attacks on the media

1263
0
Journalist Joaquin Alvarado addresses students at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges' NorCal Conference at San Joaquin Delta College on Nov. 3.

At two events attended by editors of The Collegian, the message of combating the “fake news” rhetoric was highlighted.

On Oct. 26, the University of the Pacific hosted a discussion between Arthur Sulzberger, former publisher of The New York Times and Pamela Eibeck, president of UOP. The event was titled “Impact of the Media and Truth on Democracy.”

On Nov. 3, San Joaquin Delta College hosted the Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC) 2018 NorCal Conference.

The keynote speaker was Joaquin Alvarado.

The connection between free press and democracy should have been learned in grade school where students were introduced to their first amendment rights.

It is concerning how often freedom of the press is under attack since the 2016 Presidential Election. The attacks are especially dangerous for aspiring and professional journalists alike.

Reaching out to community members and showing them who the media works for was explored by Alvarado, in his keynote address at the JACC Conference.

Yet, we can’t be discouraged from becoming journalists despite today’s view on reporters, stressed Sulzberger.

“Having a press that can’t speak truth to power ensures that power wins,” Sulzberger said.

If powerful people and businesses are never stood up to or regulated by the press, everyday citizens will suffer. Democracy crumbles.

Undeniably, U.S. citizens are alienated against the news media. Many people cannot identify the differences between commentary, opinion and real news.

Those same people aren’t likely to inform themselves on the differences, cultivating aggression against reporters in the meantime.

An uninformed population was never the intention of our founding fathers. The United States and its democracy is suffering from the mistrust of the free press.

Local media groups will suffer from the mistrust planted by President Donald Trump. His words will have a lasting effect on the country unless journalists actively combat the rhetoric in their own communities.

Alvarado believes there is a long road when it comes to repairing the damage inflicted by Trump’s attacks on the media as a tactic of fear mongering.

We have to start by connecting with our communities to explain the nature of transparency in the media.

The Collegian writes for the student body of San Joaquin Delta College. We report as citizens of the Stockton community.

We strive to bring you honest accounts of the events that happen all around you.

Please, reach out to us at deltacollegian.net if you feel our staff members are not being trained for the world of journalism correctly.