Public goes wild for style at Stockton Hair Jam

5799
0
Sharp & Dapper Barbering front door entrance Stockton, Calif. PHOTO BY BONES

People waiting outside to grab a seat, crowding around the barber chairs while artists trimmed and faded the clients hair. The atmosphere was jamming inside. The special guest DJ kept the good vibes going. 

On Oct. 6, Sharp and Dapper Barbering, with the help of Diego Elizarraras and Ulysses Benitez, put together a community event to showcase local talent for barbers and hair stylists.

Crowds of people surrounding and watching barbers do their thing at Sharp & Dapper Barbering’s Stockton Hair Jam while waiting for a spot in the chair. Stockton, Calif.
PHOTO BY BONES

Diego Elizarraras, a well-known hair artist and Ulysses Benitez, CEO of Sharp and Dapper, created Stockton Hair Jam to provide a welcoming space for artists in and around Stockton.

The art of grooming, for example fading and creating patterns, is what barbers and hair stylists consider hair culture. 

The main goal is being able to help hair artists show their talent and push the hair culture forward.

Hair Jams “originally originated in Los Angeles” where one can go get inspired to do what they love as well as “elevate the [hair] culture” said Diego.

In the hair culture, one is accustomed to seeing so much competition against one another. Diego loves the concept of Hair Jams due to bringing communities together and “jams are opposed to competition.” 

So instead of competing to see who can give the best haircut, it gives artists the opportunity to learn from one another and share tips and tricks.

“We have artists that even come from out of state,” said Diego. The show, featuring artists like Erik Ruiz from Washington and several local artists like Cristian Hernandez from Stockton and Jonathan Erik from Los Angeles, provided a variety of different cultural backgrounds.

Barber Christian Inductivo enjoying what he does at Sharp & Dapper Barbering’s Stockton Hair Jam. Stockton, Calif.
PHOTO BY BONES

Stockton Hair Jam gave hair-related artists the chance to share their talent with the Stockton community and network with other artists, while also providing free haircuts to the public.

Not only do you get a free haircut, but you get to interact with other people whom are interested in the hair culture.

For future Hair Jams follow @diego_djdgaf or check out @sndbarbering for upcoming events.