Regular season nears end for Delta’s highly-ranked volleyball team

1598
0
Lauren Hicks and Jessica Smith go up for a block during a win against Sacramento City. PHOTO BY PAUL MUYSKENS

On Wednesday, Oct. 30, the Delta College volleyball team played at home against Sacramento City and won in straight sets as Angel Lambert led the way with a match-high 14 kills.

Currently ranked sixth in the state the Mustangs improved to 17-5 with the win as they won their fourth straight match and nine out of their last ten matches.

The beginning of each set saw the Mustangs start off slow before finding the momentum and taking control.
According to Head Coach Molly Mordaunt-Hummel the Mustangs usually feed off the energy of the crowd but the crowd was small compared to the others in the past.

Sophomore captain, Angelique Stepanoff, continuously was yelling “energy” and doing her best to keep the team motivated despite her tough night on the court finishing with just six kills.

Mordaunt-Hummel later said she’s trying to teach the team how to be more consistent on feeding more off the energy of the team rather than the crowd.  Two days later and despite a great crowd the Mustangs dropped a five-set match against Folsom Lake.

In their most recent match on Wednesday nigh at Santa Rosa the Mustangs won in straight sets to improve to 18-6.

Their final two home matches of the regular season are next week as they take on American River on Wednesday the 13th and Diablo Valley on Friday the 15th.