Predictable conclusion to Trump’s impeachment

902
0

The Senate voted to acquit President Donald Trump of impeachment charges on Wednesday, capping off months of national political drama. It was a historic moment: the third time in the country’s history a president was impeached and stood trial. The first two were presidents Andrews Johnson and Bill Clinton. President Richard Nixon, while most closely associated with impeachment, resigned before the process actually began.

Though the trial may be over, the impeachment process remains an impenetrable subject for many, begging the question: what just happened?

DEFINING IMPEACHMENT: A charge of misconduct made against the holder of an office. 

BY THE CONSTITUTION: The U.S. constitution Article II, Section 4, “The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.” So it’s not just presidential.

Former Secretary of War William Belknap was impeached in 1876, for example, though he resigned before eventually being acquitted, according to a Politico article by Andrew Glass.

Even earlier, U.S. Senator William Blount was impeached on charges of conspiring to help the British conquer parts of the Florida territory in 1796, according to the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.

THE PROCESS: Impeachment proceedings against a president are triggered by the House of Representatives when it passes articles of impeachment against a public official, according to the Cornell Legal Information Institute. The articles are essentially charges of a crime. Once the articles are approved, a trial phase begins in the Senate, during which senators act as jurors. If two-thirds of the senators vote to convict the president, they are found guilty and removed from office. Otherwise, they are acquitted.

WHAT’S HAPPENED: President Trump was impeached by the House of Representatives, following a vote on Dec. 18, 2019, to approve two articles of impeachment.

WHY TRUMP WAS IMPEACHED BY THE HOUSE: The reason Trump was impeached by The House was on the articles of Abuse of Power and Obstruction of Congress. The House alleged in those articles that Trump had abused the power of his office by coercing the government of Ukraine to announce an investigation of Joe Biden, a Democrat currently running for president this year. The second article, alleging obstruction of Congress, claims Trump hindered the impeachment investigation by ordering all government employees not to comply with subpoenas or requests for documents.

REALITY OF IMPEACHMENT: In some cases, it can be simply a blemish on a record. Merely being impeached means they will still hold office and be able to serve another term if re-elected, unless the Senate votes to remove him, leaving the vice president to take over. 

President Bill Clinton was impeached in February 1999 for perjury, obstruction of justice and abuse of power. The Senate, where Trump’s case is now, acquitted Clinton of the charges.

ReplyForward