Celebrating Black History

Dance, inspirational performances highlight Delta College's offerings for month

1319
0

February, also known as Black History Month, is a yearly celebration with an approved theme to recognize and honor the accomplishments of African Americans throughout history. This year’s theme is “African Americans and the Vote,” which acknowledges the struggle both African American men and women faced for voting rights. 

Like many other establishments, Delta College is partaking in the commemoration of Black History Month. The Pride Center put up signs around campus to honor and recognize LGBTQ+ African Americans throughout history.

Additionally, four dance events will take place in honor of Black History Month. The events were put together by the Arts and Communication Division.

The dance events include a lecture and Hip Hop dance performance by Pepper Von on Feb. 18.

Also on the line up is Ms. G’s Afro Modern dance on Feb. 19, Nicole’s Afro-Caribbean dance on Feb. 21 and Feb. 28, and Philip’s Afro-Pop dance on Feb. 27.

Pepper Von’s event kickstarts the celebrations at Atherton Theatre, with a motivational lecture presentation called “A Compelling Future.”

“The lecture consists of a verbal presentation that is aimed to inspire personal achievement and intended to be audience interactive,” said Von prior to the event. 

It also included a Q-and-A session that covers: the 9Ds formula for success, FEAR Buster tools and willingness to change. 

After, Von held a Hip/Old School Funk dance class for everyone.

“The purpose of this event is to offer students tools of inspiration thereby encouraging a fearless momentum towards personal success. Hopefully, the participants will leave excited about putting the tools of personal success into place, and ready to maximize their greatest potential,” said Von.