Santa Cruz protests raise questions to effectiveness

1169
0

Everyone has the right to protest and call attention to a situation they see as damaging, or to try and improve the situation for themselves or others, like workers at a company or residents of a city.

However, is protest justified in all situations? 

A recent strike at University of California, Santa Cruz has people asking that question.

On Feb. 9, graduate student instructors from the university began striking for higher pay due to higher cost of housing. So far, the university has refused.

The students protested both outside the campus and in the offices, refusing to give grade reports for other students.

This case has drawn the state’s attention, but public reception has been mixed. Scott Hernandez-Jason, spokesperson for UC Santa Cruz, called the strikes illegal while speaking to ABC 7 News. 

“A grading strike is illegal and doesn’t get us closer to a resolution or helping them,” he said. 

On Feb. 12, things escalated to the point that several protestors were arrested for damage of property and trespassing, making the situation less positive or meaningful.

It should be noted that these graduate students need both savings for school and to be able to pay for housing. Financial troubles can hamper graduate students’ work towards a degree.

Students have the right to protest these issues,  but the tactic was over the line as some people could have gotten hurt in these protests.

There are other ways to deal with this in a more conventional way, such as having a closed door meeting or negotiating with the university.

A better way is to bring this to national news in how this is important to students, what’s at stake for them if they don’t get a degree, and the housing cost problems.

Raising awareness is the key to bring a better solution to the problem than causing trouble as it leads nowhere to the answer and more to the problem.

Delta students shared thoughts on the Santa Cruz protests and what they might do in a similar situation:

“Yes, because it’s not fair, they need to focus on the graduate students on their priorities like helping them pay for a home. I would protest if it happened here, if we cannot afford it or they make it difficult, then we speak up,” said Osbaldo Guadalupe Zuñiga Soto.

“Yes, because the university/college should provide resources to graduate students as they are a priority and need the help they can get. I would probably do it but not protest rather bring awareness to the situation,” said Angelica Lopez.

“Yes, because it’s pathetic that students with a degree, their dream is getting farther to reach as those who have a job and can’t get a higher pay can’t be able to afford a home. I would do it if it happened in this institution,” said Luis Mendoza.