Vaccine opposition: As mandates roll out, pushback comes from those advocating for personal freedom, alternative treatments

3156
0

Moves toward widespread vaccine mandates have led to a rise in voice for objectors who are expressing their opinions against the push to require the shot.

The Nov. 4 finalization of Occupational Safety and Health Administration plan for all companies with more than 100 employees to be vaccinated for Covid-19 reaffirmed the government’s stance on mandates, pushing a Jan. 4 deadline for compliance. 

Mandates have been met with opposition nationwide but an Oct.1 vaccine mandate for school-aged children has parents concerned. 

“The state already requires that students are vaccinated against viruses that cause measles, mumps, and rubella – there’s no reason why we wouldn’t do the same for COVID-19. Today’s measure, just like our first-in-the-nation school masking and staff vaccination requirements, is about protecting our children and school staff, and keeping them in the classroom,” said Governor Gavin Newsom in a news release. 

A Kaiser Family Foundation survey from October found that 3 out of 10 parents surveyed said they would get their child vaccinated for Covid but the others were either cautious or a hard no. 

“Talk to me in five or ten years when this vaccine has had sufficient time to be studied. Children are in the lowest risk group and beyond that it should be up to me as a parent to decide what to put into my children’s body. As I’ve raised my children I’ve become more aware of how nutrition impacts their body, this vaccine is no different than that consideration and awareness,” said Maia Aguirre, mother of four and grassroots organizer for LodiUSD Homeschooling and Research Option. 

Aguirre said the data doesn’t support the hard-line decision.

“Despite the sweeping assumptions and name calling from being vaccine-hesitant — I have my mind made up. It’s unfortunate that my decision is an issue for some but the data presented does not provide justification for a mandate.”

Much of Aguirre’s concern revolves around the efficacy of this vaccine and its long term effects. She cited its lack of United States Food and Drug Administration  (FDA) approval for children as well as its time spent in development as key factors driving her opposition. 

The Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine is currently the only of the three vaccines that has full approval from the FDA for individuals 16 years of age and older. The Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines currently are being administered under Emergency Use Approval and are pending full approval.

“Vaccine development is a long, complex process, often lasting 10-15 years and involving a combination of public and private involvement according to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. ” 

Two of COVID-19 vaccines are based on mRNA technology. These viruses “do not contain any live virus,” according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control. The technology has been in development for years, but Operation Warp Speed was directed from the Trump administration that moved toward production of multiple vaccines. 

The first Emergency Use Authorization came in December 2020. 

“FDA may authorize unapproved medical products or unapproved uses of approved medical products to be used in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent serious or life-threatening diseases or conditions caused by CBRN threat agents when certain criteria are met, including there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives, according to Section 564 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic ACT.

The idea of alternative treatment is a recurring issue in the realm of opposition as well. 

The Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) may be the largest non-profit group reviewing alternative treatments. This group consists of over 2,000 critical care specialists,  some of which are the world’s leading pulmonary specialists who have been advocating for a protocol based on prevention rather than treatment — one preventative measure is antiviral mouthwash. 

“The early stages of the viral burden begin in the mouth and sinus cavity, so if you can keep this area sanitized your course of illness will be markedly impacted. Oropharyngeal sanitization has had great impacts on preventing the symptoms of COVID-19 and helped tremendously to stave off hospital visits”, Dr. Pierre Kory states in a panel for the FLCCC. 

The CDC also offers an alternative treatment of monoclonal antibodies, these are laboratory-made molecules that act as substitute antibodies. They can help your immune system recognize and respond more effectively to the virus, making it more difficult for the virus to reproduce and cause harm.   

So although there is a scientific basis for alternative strategies, vaccination remains the primary approach for containment. 

At Delta College, members of the Board of Trustees heard opposition to its vaccine mandate during a Sept. 21 board meeting. Responses on social media posts related to the vaccine mandate have voiced disapproval of the mandate. 

“Super late, shame on you delta. You people need to do better to serve the community,” one commenter wrote on an Oct. 14 Instagram post, the day before the vaccine mandate took effect for Delta College staff.

Although not everyone supports this measure, Delta College’s approach is aimed at maintaining a safe and healthy environment for their staff and students.  

“The bottom line, I suppose, is that we’re trying to implement the fairest possible solution for everyone. Again, we recognize that there are different points of view on the mandate and we appreciate that. We want to ensure that all students have a path forward to achieve their goals”, said Alex Breitler Head of Marketing, Communication and Outreach of Delta College. 

In California, police unions, parent groups, and health care officials have come out against the mandates, even as jobs are lost. 

“Those who refuse vaccination are a shrinking but vocal minority”, according to an NBC article entitled Protests, Lawsuits Signal Resistance as Federal Vaccine Mandates Loom. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Monday that 80% of U.S. adults have now received at least one dose of a vaccine.