Dreamers Center dedicated

514
0

A ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the Dreamers Success Center in Holt 201 on Oct. 13, re-introducing it to the campus. 

The center helps undocumented/nonresident students by offering legal, financial and emotional support through various services.

The center has been open since Fall 2019, and was scheduled to have the ceremony next semester, but was delayed due to COVID-19.

“This center is meant to be a safe space, particularly for our undocumented students and their allies,” said Ed Aguilar, Dean of Student Services in an interview.

The center works in collaboration with the I Am/Yo Soy Club, a student-run organization that works to empower undocumented voices. “I Am/Yo Soy wants to assist students with unique challenges that get in the way of achieving academic, personal, and professional excellence,” said Club President Aldo Guzman at the ceremony.

The ceremony comes at a particularly precarious time for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients. On Oct. 5, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit upheld the Texas federal judge’s ruling that the 2012 DACA policy was unlawful. On Oct. 14, a decision was made by Texas District Judge Andrew Hanen to allow current DACA recipients to renew applications, but won’t allow for any new applicants. This change in policy will take effect Oct. 31.

“The decision of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals does not change our mission to welcome and serve all students,” California Community Colleges, California State University and the University of California said in a statement.

Delta College will continue to support undocumented/nonresident students through the Dreamer Success Center and the I Am/Yo Soy program.

“No matter what happens, this center will be here,” said Aguilar in response to the ruling. 

Delta participated in the Undocumented Week of Action by showcasing statewide webinars every day from the California Community Chancellor’s Office and hosting additional workshops in  the Dreamer Success Center focused on the hardships undocumented communities face.

Despite the situation, the ceremony was a joyous event. The ceremony was accompanied with a mariachi band and food was served to the attendees. During the ceremony a new logo for the center was unveiled, which was designed by Art Professor Mario Moreno.

“When you see that butterfly,” Moreno explained during the ceremony. “…We don’t know where they’re going. But we know that they’re going out into the community. And they leave the center, and they go with that hope that they’re going to affect change and bring it back.”

The Dreamers Success Center held its official grand opening on Oct. 13. PHOTO BY DUANE SANDERS