Emergency Medical Technician classes continue to grow at Delta

413
0
EMT decorative image

Delta is offering Emergency Medical Technician classes for a second semester. The EMT class is 12 weeks and teaches students how to care for patients with cardiac, respiratory, or trauma emergencies, according to the official Delta College website. EMT training is useful  for students wishing to become paramedics, fighter fighters, and  related fields said the Delta college website.

The EMT class offers 41 chapters for it’s class and it seems to be off to a great start, according to Ricardo Campos, the EMT director.

“Our EMT class is currently in our second semester. We finished our last semester with a 100 percent pass rate,” said Campos. 

The course is vital in addressing local shortages, as San Joaquin county is medically understaffed according to San Joaquin General Hospital and has been since 1994 according to Rep. Josh Harder in a bill he introduced to bring in more doctors to the area. 

The 8-unit EMT class requires no experience to join and just asks that you be 18 years or older. EMT students will receive hands-on training on medical care. A typical week for an EMT student consists of two four hour lectures a week and five hours of skill lab sessions, and by the end of the semester students must complete at least 48 hours of observation time — 24 in the emergency room and 24 in the ambulance.

If you have the drive to join the medical field this will be the perfect class for you. If you have any other questions about the EMT class please contact the lead instructor and director Ricardo Campos at ricardo.campos@deltacollege.edu.