Valerie Stewart-Green
Valerie Stewart-Green was the trustee for Area 6, representing the cities of Tracy and Mountain House. PHOTO COURTESY OF DELTA COLLEGE

Delta College Trustee Valerie Stewart-Green died on Aug. 16, the college announced over the weekend.

Green was appointed as representative for Area 6, which includes the cities of Tracy and Mountain House, in October 2022 after the passing of Trustee Teresa Brown.

“Once Valerie joined the Board, she hit the ground running. She was quick to engage and was always supportive of reaching out to others in support of her constituents. Students always came first. Her contributions to discussions provided great insight that steered others toward mutual understanding and decisions. Her service as a trustee is commendable. I will miss her a lot,” said Delta College Board President Charles Jennings.

Prior to her appointment to the board, Stewart-Green worked at Delta College for 22 years. She served as executive assistant to the superintendent and board of trustees before retiring in 2022. She was also a graduate of the University of San Francisco.

“​​Having worked closely with the community during her time as an executive assistant to the superintendent/president of Delta College, as a trustee Stewart-Green spoke often of her desire to ensure that all community members were aware of the College’s programs and services and how those programs and services might improve their lives,” read a news release sent to the community by the college on Aug. 17.

“I want to make sure that our students have the best opportunities for education and are successful, and that we do what is best for the community,” Stewart-Green said after her appointment, according to the release.

Delta College’s Superintendent/President Dr. Lisa Aguilera Lawrenson noted Stewart-Green’s community involvement among the qualities she brought to the board.

“She was proud to serve Tracy and Mountain House and her area on the Board; she worked hard to represent the interests and needs of students and the general public in those areas. She was very involved in her community, and she loved to share the great things happening in her community with the District. She will be missed by all of us who worked with her and had the gift of knowing her,” said Lawrenson. 

Stewart-Green’s term was set to expire after the November General Election. She had not submitted paperwork to run for the Area 6 seat.

Board Policy 2110 states, “the Board shall, within 10 days of the provisional appointment, post notices of both the actual vacancy or the filing of a deferred resignation and the provisional appointment in three public places in the District.” 

The Board has yet to announce how her seat is to be filled.