Beginning of academic year brings new impressions of Delta College

149
0

The start of each new academic school year always brings a wave of new students into the Fall semester, many of whom are recent high school graduates.

This year is no different, but is exceptional in that Delta’s incoming high school graduates are those whose first year of high school took place during the restrictions of lockdown and quarantine.

With the striking contrast between their first years as high school and college students, several students find it appealing and as an opportunity to have a better experience.

Anahi Coronado, a first-year Delta student, said she has had a better introduction to student life at Delta than in high school.

“The environment feels so welcoming and the people seem nice. My professors especially are great. There’s a lot more diversity and clubs than there was at my high school which is pretty cool,” Coronado said.

Coronado also said she found the organized resource fairs and activities on campus to help her friend group feel welcome and wanted.

A common sentiment shared among students was that high school was more restrictive with the community in their interests and expression.

Among the various aspects that students were excited about, many expressed general enthusiasm for reduced restrictions and a more liberating environment that promotes creativity and individuality.

Amaro Sarcos, a first-year Delta student, said the campus environment, having events like Mustang Week, is liberating for students unsure how college compares to high school.

“I do believe that the staff provide less restrictions than the staff at my high school. They have these events that are a good way to connect with students because they put every club on display. I can see that there’s gonna be more opportunities for me at this school,” Sarcos said.

There also was a backing for more independent decision-making rather than being coddled at every step.

Daniel Aguilar, a first-year Delta student, said his independent decisions gave him a more optimistic perspective on his educational journey.

“In high school they just give you a random schedule and don’t inform you on it. At Delta I made my schedule, and was able to spread them through the week to give me more space to breathe. I feel much more organized and free, and I think that’s why my experience has gone good so far,” Aguilar said.

Some admitted to initial sentiments of anxiety in taking their first steps into adulthood and cited that some of those concerns came from difficulty navigating the campus website. 

Sarcos said his friend group had issues with getting general student information from the website.

“The resources on campus are pretty tucked away in the campus. Personally, I haven’t used them to the extent that I should but I’ve heard that there are many problems from accessing the counselors and gaining knowledge on the courses you need for your selected majors,” Sarcos said. 

Recommendations were for there to be more specific instructions regarding counseling, courses, and resources on the website that are easier to find.

Though many of the new students are still getting everything sorted and finding their place among social groups, the general consensus was one of optimism that welcomed all opportunities for growth.