Men’s soccer captures third win in a row against Ohlone Renegades

47
0

On Aug.29 the Delta Mustangs men’s soccer team captured the team’s third win in a row against the Ohlone College Renegades.

The Mustangs delivered a devastating blowout to the Renegades, winning the game 7-0.

“What was working best for us was constantly going over our game plan and what we want from this season, driving us to not take the foot off the pedal,” forward right Elijah Hanley said. 

Within the first few minutes of the game the Mustangs found a hole in the Renegades defense, leading to the team’s  first goal, setting the tone for the rest of the game. 

Ohlone’s defense tightened up after the Mustang’s goal but the  next trial was more difficult – getting the ball downfield.

Defense was where the team hung its hats while not just stopping all Renegade goals but also only allowing two shot attempts. 

“On the defensive end when we don’t have the ball, it’s just pressuring and working as hard as we can to get the ball back and get back in our system,” center back Hayden Beier said.

The second half held more success for the Mustangs as the team took another 13 shots, converting four of them into goals. 

Ohlone players appeared exhausted in the second half, on one particular play an Ohlone forward was alone on the breakaway for an open shot, only to miss and fall to the floor in frustration.   

“The ones who really won the game for us was the defense with keeping a clean sheet,” said forward Jasha Vaszary. 

Mustangs men’s soccer is on a hot streak as of late showing no signs of slowing down. The team is set on staying motivated to achieve their ultimate goal.

“Just because we won the last three games and the last one by a wide margin doesn’t mean we can lose our killer instinct,” Vaszary said. “To continue this winning streak, we need consistency in practice, mentality on the field, and maintaining passion for the game.”

As far as aspirations go the men’s soccer team had their eyes set on one goal since before the season started. 

“Our main focus is to take it all the way by winning our section and regionals and most importantly being state champions,” Hanley said. 

That was a  goal men’s soccer wasn’t able to capture last season, but this current group shows a lot of promise. 

“Coming as a freshman and winning the championship is every athlete’s dream,” Vaszary said.  “Especially after a not too successful season, knowing you made the difference, it would mean a lot to me personally.”

Hanley said winning a championship wouldn’t just mean a lot to him but also his family as he has been commuting to Stockton to play on the team.

“Commuting to Stockton everyday was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the opportunity I was granted and for us to start the season the way we are is very promising and rewarding,” Hanley said.