Board of Trustees sets goals for coming year

27
0

Over the summer Delta’s Board of Trustees released their annual self-evaluation report, indicating what the Board plans to focus on throughout the next academic year.  

From the evaluation, the board proposed five goals that range from increasing student access, providing a stronger course load, and developing better engagement with the community. 

While most of the report pertains to the performance of the board itself, and outlines what they hope to accomplish through the fall 2024 semester, there are some aspects that pose a significance to student life and the future of Delta.

“We’re trying to increase enrollment in our technical career trade offerings and our size in engineering, computer science, and business in law…overall trying to expand enrollment,” said Trustee C. Jennet Stebbins. 

In an attempt to gain more student access, and expand campus to further increase enrollment, 

Stebbins mentioned that the board is competing with other campuses to draw in students from the greater San Joaquin County area and beyond. 

“We’re competing with Modesto JC, Stanislaus State … trying to draw from other areas and have a broader spectrum of courses,” said Stebbins. 

Although Stebbins did not elaborate on those courses, board goal one is to ensure that the progress of this semester aligns with future workforce needs. 

Each of the goals contains their own theme, the first of them being student centered, with an emphasis on minority students.  

“Those underrepresented students are African American, Native American, and Simoan student. I believe with African American students they have been encouraged to attend Black colleges. We had a superintendent at one time who was the head hunter for Black students – to entice them. They have representatives go to highschools to try to recruit those students,” said Stebbins. 

Stebbins included that there are a wide range of courses at Delta which could directly provide jobs for students straight out of college.

“These programs in a year or two could offer up to $50 to $70 thousand dollars,” said Stebbins.  

The board has made progress in addressing campus climate, a part of goal number four references this. 

The text reads that the student climate directly impacts the student living learning environment, and is a part of their organizational effectiveness theme.  

The result of the 2024 campus climate survey shows that more than 40 percent of African American students express their needs not being met. 

Stebbins was unsure if anything from the self evaluation was established from past campus climate surveys.

Stebbins said that there has been success in what the board set out to do with the superintendent and staff. 

While there was no elaboration on what was specifically accomplished, she also mentioned that U.S Rep.Josh Harder’s recent $3.8 million donation was a part of how the board intends to carry on in branching out into other areas to expand student access and promotion of courses on campus. 

The board recognizes that things don’t say the same, and to keep up with the times these goals will evolve throughout the years. 

“We’re dealing with AI programs and robotics programs — things are changing. Hopefully things  won’t stay the same at Delta,” said Stebbins. 

The board welcomes public comment on these goals, and has a survey based on their performance over the next year located on Delta’s website.