Potholes make parking a hazardous exercise

87
0
A traffic cone sits deeply in a pothole in front of a parking pay station, located in the Shima parking lot at the campus in Stockton, Calif. on Sept. 16, 2024. PHOTO BY LORIANA JOSE

Parking at Delta has become more than just a matter of securing a permit, it’s about dodging deep potholes and driving on uneven roads that could easily damage vehicles. 

Students are now required to purchase parking permits to use the campus lots, yet the condition of the lots raises a critical question: Why are we paying for parking permits when the lots themselves are filled with hazards?

Delta counts 20 parking lots on the Stockton campus alone, with about 5,000 parking spaces. Parking availability is essential for a campus that serves thousands of students daily, yet it comes with a cost — literally. 

“It’s sort of hard to justify paying for parking when there are potholes everywhere,” said student Gonzalo Ordinola.

Director of Facilities Planning and Management Stacy Pinola addressed these concerns by explaining the primary causes of the potholes. 

“The lack of maintenance and seal coating has caused the potholes that we are experiencing,” she said.

Sgt. Jim Bock of Delta’s District Police Department added that weather conditions have further exacerbated the problem. 

“Part of the problem came into play the last two years where we had those massive rainfalls,” he said. “If you have a small pothole and you get this deluge, water gets into all the cracks and starts eroding the soil underneath the asphalt, creating a bigger pothole.”

The parking lots on campus, particularly Shima, are dotted with several deep potholes, as well as numerous smaller ones. These potholes pose more than just an inconvenience, they can potentially cause damage to vehicles. 

Potholes and uneven surfaces are known to damage tires, suspension systems, and vehicle alignment, which can lead to costly repairs, further burdening students already dealing with the rising costs of education and living expenses. 

Bock acknowledged the safety risks posed by the potholes. 

“For us, the potholes definitely pose a safety risk, whether it’s someone swerving to avoid them or hitting one and damaging their car,” Bock said.

There have been upgrades happening all over campus: the Goleman Library has been upgraded with a new computer lab, the campus added workout equipment stations outdoors, and even the pond has been revitalized, but the parking lots remain a patchwork of uneven surfaces and dangerous potholes.

The Facilities department has received concerns about the state of the parking lots, and Pinola assures that the issues are being tracked and addressed when possible. 

“Yes, we have received feedback from the campus community, and we do our best to address each of the concerns,” she said. “We are currently working on an emergency purchase order to resolve the potholes until full funding is available to fully repair the parking lots… we are trying for the end of September to fill the potholes. We are working on getting the necessary quotes to push the work forward,” Pinola said. 

Pinola also mentions that when renovations begin, students and staff would need to park elsewhere on campus. She emphasized that communication will be key to minimizing inconvenience.

Surely, maintaining the parking lots should be considered important, given that it affects almost everyone who sets foot on campus. However, budget constraints pose a challenge. 

“Budget resources are challenging, as there are always competing needs. The needs for the students always come first, therefore what is needed for instructional purposes tips the scale for available funds toward instructional and not parking lots,” Pinola said. 

Bock points out parking permit revenue also supports maintenance and safety measures. 

“The funds collected from parking permits aren’t just for fixing potholes,” he said. “They help ensure the general functioning and safety of the parking lots, including lighting, surveillance, and regular maintenance.”