Goleman Library gets new computer lab

39
0
Soumaya Bitar Tutor III in the Goleman Library Helping Student Eunice Martin in the tutoring center/computer lab at Goleman Library on Sept. 25 2024. PHOTO BY LEVI GOERZEN

San Joaquin Delta College’s Goleman Library recently expanded its resources with the introduction of the new Academic Computing Lab (ACL) on its first floor. 

Before the lab’s relocation to the Goleman Library, it was housed on the second floor of Danner Hall, known informally as “the attic.”

The Sign for the tutoring center/computer lab in Goleman Library on Sept. 25 2024. PHOTO BY LEVI GOERZEN

This newly established add-on to the facility could be a game-changer for students, offering a wealth of technological support and academic assistance at no cost. 

The ACL is a hub of technological resources equipped with 30 desktops and 60 laptops preloaded with essential software programs commonly used in Delta’s courses. 

“We’ve recently upgraded to Microsoft Office 2021 and installed the Adobe Suite on our desktops and select laptops. This ensures students have access to the latest tools for their coursework, especially those who may not have these programs at home,” Substitute Instructional Support Assistant II Ryan Aran said. 

The software upgrade is one aspect of what makes the ACL an essential resource. The lab offers a variety of practical services. 

Instructional Support Assistant III Jerry Sam said the lab also features free printing, scanning, and copying. The library also features 12 group student rooms designed for collaborative work or tutorings sessions. 

“Having access to all these services without additional cost is a huge benefit for students,” Aran adds. 

The lab’s no cost services are further enhanced by its unique operational structure. Although the ACL is housed within the Goleman Library, it operates as a separate entity, functioning with its own distinct resources and services.

The new computers installed in the Goleman Library this semester on Sept. 25 2024. PHOTO BY LEVI GOERZEN

Unlike the library, which requires a library card for checking out books, the computing lab does not require a card. Students simply need to log in with their student credentials to access the lab’s resources, making it an accessible and user-friendly space. 

“The move to the first floor of the library significantly increases our visibility and accessibility. The library is a central spot that students frequent… Being in this high-traffic area allows us to better inform students about the resources available to them,” said Aran. 

The co-location of the ACL with the Goleman Tutoring Center also offers added convenience. Students can easily transition from tutoring sessions to the lab to print assignments or get additional help. 

“It’s a great synergy. Students can come for a tutoring appointment and then move just a few steps away to utilize the lab’s resources or get further assistance with their assignments,” said Instructional Support Assistant III Hannah Abramson.

Student feedback highlights the positive impact of the new lab. “I think it’s pretty cool. I’m able to print papers when I need to,” student Xavier Beyer said. “It also helps that it’s free.”

Lab hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.