Mustang Pass offers benefits

53
0
ASDC Senators, Isah Azizi, left, and Danielle Bush, right, serving pizza to Delta student, Alexander Feaster at Food 4 Thought event in front of Danner Hall. PHOTO BY ASHLEY HALLINAN

The Associated Students of Delta College’s (ASDC)Food 4 Thought program returned for the Fall 2024 semester on Monday, Sept.9. 

Food 4 Thought is a weekly free lunch offered on Mondays from 12 to 1 p.m. near Danner Hall. 

In previous semesters, the Food 4 Thought free lunches were only available for Mustang Pass holders. A new aspect of the program is that it’s available to all Delta students in exchange for a quick survey to aid ASDC in understanding the wants and needs of the student body.

“Food 4 Thought is ASDC’s way to give back to the students with free food in return for their experiences on campus. The purpose is to reach out to students about their opinions regarding important issues through short surveys and in compensation they receive food,” said ASDC Vice President, Layla Alaswad. “For students, I want them to know that their input when it comes to these surveys is both completely anonymous and only gets sent to us. We use their survey input to create goals for ASDC.”

Delta student Alexander Feaster participated in the Food 4 Thought event on Monday, Sept. 16 with several friends after hearing about it as an announcement in one of his classes. 

“I think it is a wonderful program helping to provide lunch to students who may not exactly have anything for lunch,” Feaster said when asked about his opinion on the program.

Another important ASDC program is the Mustang Pass. 

“The Mustang Pass is a combination of two fees, Student Activity Fee and Student Representation Fee,” said Alaswad. “The money from the Mustang Pass goes straight to ASDC and helps us fund us. The Mustang pass gives you free food at every College Hour event run by us, discounts at certain businesses listed on our website, and scholarship opportunities. The newest change to the Mustang Pass is the combination of the Student Representation Fee. This change is to simplify the process of paying these fees since both fees are received by us.”

Alaswad continued: “The huge thing I want to emphasize to students is that not only does this money fund us, but as your representatives you can tell us how you want your money to be spent! We want students to be active with the way their money is used, either through projects they want ASDC to fight for or the events they want to see be done on campus. ASDC really appreciates the students paying for the Mustang Pass as it helps keep ASDC alive and allows us to plan these great events!”

Mustang Passes are available to all students with a fee of $12. 

“They can purchase at the Office of Student Life or at the Cashier’s Office,” said Director of Student Life, Dr. Ricky Gutierrez-Maldonado. “They may pay for the fees online as well and simply show proof of payment at the above named offices and get a Mustang Pass Sticker.”

Guiterrez-Maldonado added “Fees from the Mustang Pass help support campus life events, activities, funds clubs and does so much more. It’s the way everyone can chip in to make Delta College a better place for every student.” 

If students want to be a part of contributing or helping plan campus life events, they can request to join the campus life committee currently meeting every Monday, from 1 to 2 p.m.