Club Rush connects students to campus community

56
0
Entrepreneurship Club
Palwasha Khan, the treasurer of the Entrepreneurship Club, represents the club and speaks with students about membership opportunities at Club Rush located at the quad on campus in Stockton, Calif. on Sept. 11, 2024. PHOTO BY LAYLA CARRASCO

The Office of Student Life organized and hosted Delta College’s Fall Club Rush held on Sept. 11 and 12.

Club Rush is a multi-day event where the varying clubs and programs engage with the student population, as students begin to find on-campus interests.

With more than 20 active clubs in the current semester, students have a variety with which to join and participate in activities with like-minded peers.

Annum Khan, a second-year Delta student and president of the Speech & Debate Club, said she found the event very engaging and that the new semester has led to new growth.

“I love Club Rush. I love seeing the community out here. This semester we’ve actually seen tons of growth. I started this club up last semester, but it’s finally taking off this semester where we’re seeing a bunch of more students actually eager to participate in communications,” Khan said.

Khan also felt that having Club Rush or Resource Fairs for students who are unaware of what Delta has to offer is significant, as they can familiarize themselves with various opportunities.

With a two-hour timeframe, students were free to talk to any club tabling in the quad area, listen to music, and participate in activities that were offered.

Many club representatives had a positive outlook on the event’s turnout and found it a very interactive experience, even with students who were unsure of what to expect when joining.

Among some club representatives, there was an understanding for students who are more reserved or reluctant to join but still affirmed that hesitations should not be based on fear.

Jenni Sam, a third-year student representing the American Chemical Society Club, said clubs have a lot to offer members and are very inviting to students new to their specific topic.

“I feel like we have a wide variety of clubs. We’ve seen that a lot of the clubs they’re pretty open to a lot of activities. For example, certain clubs will have fun activities like a talent show. It’s at a point where members don’t have to possess specific related talents at all actually. We’re all just trying to do something for the community in our own way,” Sam said.

Sam also said that these events will help students build a community and find people who have similar interests so that they can make connections.

There was also the sentiment that all students can benefit from Club Rush if they are still finding an environment in which they are comfortable.

Perrie Xiong, a second-year Delta student representing the EPIC club, said that finding the right club will help students find their place among their peers.

“You’re out to be with the students, that can initiate talking to others and putting yourself out there by being here. I came out of high school last year in that spot where you’re coming to a place that is brand new, and you’re kind of alone but when you come and become more involved the clubs here they can really help you find friends and find your place of belonging in here,” Xiong said.