Eyes on Mountain House campus as city grows

89
0
A classroom inside a portable building at the South Campus at Mountain House in Mountain, Calif. PHOTO BY SADIA KHAN

In March, Measure D was approved, officially making Mountain House a city. Many people believe the campus is overdue for permanent buildings and that more programs should be encouraged there.

Currently, the 15-year-old campus features portable classrooms but plans include building structures such as those found at the main Stockton campus. These plans are old as the campus was funded and approved in 2004 but hasn’t changed a bit since. 

There is a Cisco Networking Academy in room 301 where you can learn how to build and design computers. The campus also has a student lounge located in room 302A with vending machines and microwaves, they are both open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Like the main campus, Mountain House has a basic needs center, a district police station, and a library.  

The sign for the South Campus at Mountain House in Mountain House, Calif. PHOTO BY SADIA KHAN

Mountain House offers a handful of late start classes as well like BIM 79 Microsoft Outlook which has no prerequisite and teaches students how to use Microsoft Outlook 365. The course starts on Oct. 2, has 7 open seats remaining, and they meet every Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. in room 105. 

The Dean of the College Center in Mountain House is Pablo Ortega. 

Delta College is currently pursuing Measure K, a $598 million bond and if approved, will supposedly  help upgrade its campuses by updating old classrooms and improving student and teacher safety. According to Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler, if the bond Measure K passes there will be upgrades to the campus. 

“We are updating a Facilities Plan right now and it’s a bit early to say exactly what that permanent building might look like, but it is a high priority if the bond effort is successful,” Breitler said. 

Third-year student Nancy Saro says she will support the bond, but it will be hard to convince other people.

“My brother and I are currently enrolled at Delta and both our parents didn’t go to college so it is very important to me that Delta will be able to have the money to upgrade different campuses,” said Saro. “Not everybody is a student and with everything being so expensive people may vote no on an upgrade to their taxes if they aren’t affected by it.” 

She also says that the Mountain House campus is a good commuter school, which is good for students like her who are in their last year. 

Second-year student Miguel Juarez says he isn’t surprised Delta plans to upgrade the classrooms and praises the drive. 

“I live pretty far from the campus in Stockton so I find it easy to commute here because it is right off Highway 205. I’ve always liked the small campus feel of coming here, but it doesn’t surprise me that they plan to upgrade [the] campus. There is a lot of space around here and the drive isn’t bad for people who live in the Bay Area or around Tracy.” Juarez said. “I’ve never been to the student lounge but I enjoy spending time with my friends in the computer lab.”