Former Mustang takes third gold at Paralympics

71
0

Roderick Townsend won his third consecutive gold medal in the T47 high jump at the 2024 Paralympic Games. Born in Stockton, he has set numerous high jump records and earned medals in the long jump. 

In the Paralympics, there are different categories based on the severity of the athlete’s disability. The T47 category is for athletes who have low movement in one arm or have lost part of their arm. 

Townsend was born with nerve damage to his right arm and shoulder. He attended Lincoln High School before competing here and becoming an All-American, which eventually led to his transfer to Boise State, where he earned a degree in communications.

On Sunday, Sept. 1 Townsend won gold in Paris and set a record for high jump, jumping at 2.17 meters high (6 feet, 11.5 inches). 

After winning two gold medals in Rio, the ESPYS nominated Townsend for Best Male Athlete with a Disability. He also mentors other paralympic athletes and was an assistant coach for jumpers at Northern Arizona University.

Unfortunately due to his busy schedule, Townsend couldn’t give his time for an interview but a variety of students gave their opinions on his time here and his journey. 

Student athlete Jesus Martinez says that Townsend’s determination and discipline inspired him.

“His story inspired me for sure, he was probably told so much as a kid that he couldn’t achieve what he wanted to because of his disability. I love how determined he is, nothing could’ve stopped him from achieving what he desired. You have to have discipline to do anything in track and field so I admire his commitment.” Martinez said “I liked his hairstyle in Paris as well reminded me a lot of Dennis Rodman”

Martinez alluded to Townsend’s colorful hair as it resembled a Picasso painting and looked a lot like ‘90s basketball star Dennis Rodman’s colorful hair. 

Townsend’s leadership has been praised by competitors and other athletes playing in different sports. 

Business student Wayne Lew was also impressed by Townsend’s Paris performance and says he hopes he competes more in the future. 

“I honestly didn’t know much about Roderick Townsend until I watched him perform this year in Paris. I saw that he was from Stockton and went to Lincoln so I became interested. It takes character to be a mentor to those who you are competing against and I respect that about him.” Lew said. “I hope he competes in L.A. in 2028 because it would be nice for him and his family to enjoy competing in the U.S.” 

Lew refers to runner Ezra Frech, a Paralympic gold medalist with a prosthetic leg. He has given credit to Townsend for believing in him and mentoring him ever since he was a kid. Frech is expected to compete in the 2028 Paralympic games and is enrolled at USC. 

Townsend and his wife Tynita Townsend recently had a baby boy and he was able to come to Paris. Tynita was a former Olympic high jumper as well so athleticism runs in the family. 

Marcus Blackmon is a first-year student at Delta and didn’t look into Townsend much until seeing him on Delta College’s Instagram account. 

“I didn’t know who he was and never watched any Paralympic games until I saw his comment on Delta’s Instagram. He sounded like a very humble guy who hasn’t forgotten where he has come from he definitely has a new fan in me.” Blackmon said.