Athlete home-field advantage important

4
0
The football field is projected to be finished by August 2025. PHOTO BY JOE DEMASI

Delta’s athletic programs including football, track, baseball, and softball, currently lack on-campus venues for events. 

Track and football are united in their call for a dedicated home field because they believe it’s crucial for enhancing their experience and performance.  

Both teams practice off-site football and track events are held at McNair High School which many athletes find frustrating. The absence of a home venue has led to significant disadvantages.  

Athletes express their desire for a home field that could enhance their training and games.  

Keyon Nelson, who plays quarterback for the football team, explains how the lack of a home field affects the overall attitude. 

“Not having a place to call ours means we miss out on that traditional sense of home. It affects our preparation and overall morale. The absence of  home field advantage is one of the reasons I believe the football team is failing,” Nelson said 

“They do not have a sense of comfort because they are not playing at home,” he said. 

Nelson said fan support could have made a difference. 

“We were down by just one point against Sacramento City College and having the advantage of home support would have been crucial in rallying the team,” he said. 

Link Rhodes, who plays football and runs track agrees.  

“I feel like I don’t have much support from our school because many students can’t make it to our games at McNair due to transportation issues,” Rhodes said. 

Rhodes said hosting events at Delta would boost attendance but also create a sense of pride in their athletic program.  

“If we had our track, I think more people would come out, and that would encourage us. When you practice at the same track every day, you get to know its quirks, and that can give you an edge in competition,” he said. 

He noted the disadvantage of playing on a high school field.

“I have moved past the stage of playing in high school. It is time for us to have our college field,” said Rhodes.

Kaiden Merryman, another athlete who participates in both football and track, highlights the logistical challenges posed by the absence of a home field.  

“Practicing at a different location every day than where we play games makes it hard to build consistency. We lose valuable practice time just traveling to McNair,” Merryman said.  

Merryman deals with the emotional toll of competing at a high school facility.  

“When we are at McNair, we cannot stream our games, which means our families cannot watch us compete. From home, it is hard not to have that full amount of support,” he said. “There’s a real sense of spirit that comes from playing at home, and without it, we feel disconnected,” he said.  

The lack of connectivity with family and friends adds to the isolation, further diminishing the spirit that typically surrounds college athletics.  

The athletes believe that establishing a dedicated home track and field would not only enhance their competitive edge but also strengthen their connection to the Delta community.