Model United Nations

918
0

Students interested in joining a club might want to try the Model United Nations club.

The United Nations’ main goal, said club adviser Matt Wetstein, is to educate how the United Nations works in terms of conflict resolution in a diplomatic setting.

Since the club was formed in fall 1999 Wetstein has been co-adviser along with Jeanne Velickovic. The club consists of 12-15 students.

“The club is designed to get students prepared for a series of conferences,” Wetstein said.

During the conferences, club members play an ambassador from various countries.

“It is a good club to join if you are interested in world affairs,” Wetstein said.

Every April, there is Model United Nations of the Far West in San Francisco but the club decided not to attend it this year.

In November, the next big trip will be a United Nations conference in Las Vegas. Recently, a California United Nations conference was held in the Bay Area, Wetstein said.

Wetstein said the club meetings have a couple of different approaches. Sometimes the members discuss fundraisers in order to pay for the conferences. They also perform role-playing exercises to prepare for the various events and discuss current events happening around the world.

One of the fundraisers the club organized was the shaved-legs contest last semester. President Edward Gould and one of the campus police chiefs raised the same amount of money, said Wetstein. From the fundraiser, they raised $500 for their conferences.

Another event this club put on last semester was a bike-race fundraiser. Wetstein rode with another faculty members in the bike-a-thon.

In February, Model United Nations member Carol Green was given a distinguished delegate award representing the country Peru.

The Model United Nations club has no requirements. It is open to any student who is interested in world affairs. The Model United Nations club meetings are Tuesdays at 2:30 p.m. in the Social Science center in Holt 310.