Horticulture Club plant sales create green thumbs

45
0

Delta’s Horticulture club hosts plant sales in Delta’s nursery in the spring months. These sales occur the second Saturday of March, April and May from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Each sale has a theme. The April 13 sale was based on this month’s theme of kitchen gardening.  

Upon entry, guests are welcomed in and assisted in their plant needs. Instructional support assistant Kim Hazel provided guests with a lesson on propagating plants that can be used in one’s kitchen. This supplied hands-on experience, in addition to the plants available for sale. 

Hazel gave insight to the preparation required to put on this plant sale. 

“We make sure our plants are in the best condition and they look good,” said Hazel. “We combined kitchen gardening by propagating.”  

The Horticulture Club’s goal is to raise awareness of their club and horticulture. Hazel and volunteering students shared helpful information and words of encouragement for anyone interested in expanding their plant family. 

Lauren Allala, a Delta student volunteering at the plant sale, recommends doing your research before impulsively purchasing a plant. 

“Research the environment the plant needs before leaving the store,” said Allala.

Jocelyn Florence, Delta student and member of the Horticulture Club, recommends plants that are native and drought-resistant, such as lavender. 

“I think people should not be scared to get out of their comfort zone, California has great soil” said Florence. 

A variety of different plants were recommended for beginners due to personal experiences. Hazel recommends succulents, contrary to mixed beliefs on the skill necessary to care for them. She finds them to be good for neglectful plant parents as they don’t require much attention. She also finds them to be good plants as all you need is one leaf to bring this plant back to life. 

“You have to kill a few to grow good plants,” said Hazel as words of advice to those who fear they lack a green thumb. 

Plant parents and aspiring plant parents are invited to join the Horticulture Club at their next plant sale on May 11. That sale will be themed around spring succulents.