Many Americans have an issue with food preparers touching their food without using gloves.
Are you one of them?
If you are, you might be feeling some relief since a new law went into effect on Jan. 1 requiring that no one with bare hands touch food being served.
This new California Food Retail Code will make using gloves and or kitchen utensils mandatory when handling someone’s ready-to-eat food. Restaurants caught not enforcing the new law will receive a warning on the first offense and may be hit with several violations.
Restaurants and fast food establishments should have been abiding by this rule a long time ago. Whenever I’m out dining with friends, I find myself paying close attention to the cooking area, if it’s in sight, because of germs and viruses that can quickly spread.
Knowing that most people have a tendency to touch their hair, use hands to cover up a cough, sneeze or even pick their nose, makes me sick to my stomach when I imagine someone preparing my food by doing one, or all, of these unsanitary acts.
“I’m in favor of all restaurants us- ing gloves to handle food—It’s only right,” said Delta student Damien Warfield.
The new law does have a gray area that makes no sense.
It’s okay for food preparers to use bare hands when washing fruits and veggies, but not when making ready- to-eat food.
To that I say: Gloves should be used for all foods in a public setting; stop cutting corners.
Though several restaurant own- ers and servers may feel the new law will slow down the process of getting plates out to patrons on time, many will probably feel the need to cut a few corners in any way they can to keep customers happy with the timing of their meals.
“If I happen to see anybody making my food without gloves, I’m not paying or eating what I ordered,” said Delta student Maurice Tucker.
As a customer in any food related establishment you have the right to file a complaint with Department of Public Health if you notice any food handlers not wearing gloves.
I suggest you do so, to avoid get- ting sick from food poisoning.