‘Mr. Robot’ series ending on high note

2058
0
"Mr. Robot" by Dani Castillo is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

USA Network’s critical darling, “Mr. Robot,” is nearing the end of its glorious four-season run.

The series, which premiered in 2015, has received numerous accolades, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Drama. Its star, Rami Malek, also took home the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama in 2016.

In the series, Malek portrays Elliot Alderson, a cybersecurity engineer and hacker with social anxiety disorder. Though he struggles to communicate with people, he finds that he could connect to others through hacking them.

In the first season, Elliot is recruited by a mysterious anarchist known only as Mr. Robot, played by Christian Slater. This anarchist leads “fsociety,” a group of hacktivists whose mission is to erase all consumer debt by destroying the data of E Corp, one of the largest conglomerates in the world.

Season one focuses mainly on Elliot and fsociety’s quest to execute a hack to take down E Corp. Season two focuses on the aftermath of the hack. Season three focuses on Elliot’s goal to undo the hack and fix the world he believes he broke.

The fourth and final season, which premiered on Oct. 6, finds Elliot facing his last battle against “the top one percent of the top one percent.”

It also finds creator Sam Esmail continuing to break artistic boundaries.

After mastering a one-shot episode in season three, Esmail seemingly topped himself this season with “Method Not Allowed,” an episode that is nearly dialogue free.

Aside from Esmail’s creative genius, the entire production team has been on their A-game.

Soundtrack composer Mac Quayle has produced a score that matches the intensity of the story Esmail is telling, while cinematographer Tod Campbell can easily secure yet another Emmy nod for his breathtaking visuals.

Each member of the cast, from star Malek to B.D. Wong, who is domineering as the villain Whiterose, delivers standout performances. Newcomer Ashlie Atkinson is also deserving of a shoutout for her turn as Janice, a “joyous psychopath” and agent for the Dark Army.

With only four episodes left until the series finale, “Mr. Robot” continues to stun. While fans don’t know what fate ultimately holds for Elliot, they can be assured that the story will have a satisfying conclusion under the control of Esmail and company.

“Mr. Robot” airs Sundays at 10/9c on USA Network and its first three seasons are currently streaming on Amazon Prime.