Low-cost food options accommodate students, but not Danner’s budget

1047
0
Loco Moco prepared by Delta College Culinary Arts students, who have a space near the grill area Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Photo by Maria Abugarade Rayo

The prices from fall 2019  have fallen in Danner for Spring 2020, thanks to the recommendations from students conducted as part of an overall revitalization feedback for the central-campus space.

Prices for items in Danner,  hot food and snacks included, are now under $5.

“I think it makes it easier for everyone to buy food, like this semester there has been longer lines since the prices have dropped versus last year, there was hardly anyone in the cafe,” said student Cierra Olivera. 

Plans solidifying the price adjustments were part of the Jan. 21 Board of Trustees meeting where Auxiliary Services Operations Supervisor Michael Williams presented revitalization information for the Danner space, as well as results from an Associated Students of Delta College (ASDC) survey.

In the survey the No. 1 response for biggest student priority was affordable food options. The survey conducted how much money students would spend on breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

Superintendent/President Dr. Omid Pourzanjani has focused on food price reductions to serve the student population since last Fall.

“The café was well in the negatives, I was pushing the team to reduce the price at a right angle,” he said.

The $5 price cap comes from a place of equity, specifically from surveys conducted in recent years showing food insecurity is a continued problem for college students. 

In a survey conducted by The Hope Center amongst California Community Colleges. It was found that 37 percent of students suffer from high food insecurity.

“It has to sit on that arbitrary cap, the challenge behind it was equity.,” said Pourzanjani.

Along the lines of equity he believes that if one hungry student sits next to a student who eats the chance of their success in school is lower.

“No matter what…,” Pourzanjani said. “… I wanted it under $5.”

The new prices are being paired with further discounts for Mustang Pass holders. Delta College has taken to social media to tout the advantages of having a $10 per semester pass.

“The Cafeteria will be bringing back the Mustang Pass Discount for students. Students with a mustang pass will receive: 20 percent off prepared foods, 10 percent off packaged snacks and bottled beverages.”

The changes come on the heels of Danner’s Cafe being shuttered at this time last year.  The cafeteria has not broke even in the past 14 years, said Williams in an email interview. In an interview with KCRA on Feb. 14, Pourzanjani said the operations were still running “in the red.”

Still, students are benefitting.

“Some students don’t have no time or no money [to get] food for themselves,” said student Antonio Robledo-Nova.

In addition to lower prices in Danner, the Delta College Food Pantry is also now open for the Spring 2020 semester. All students can sign up to receive points toward food items at the pantry, located on the first floor of the Shima Center.