Great ‘Kylie’ war comes to end

772
0

A trademark battle between reality star Kylie Jenner and Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue appears to have come to an end.

The dispute between the two Kylies has been going on for almost two years, according to CNBC. The two women have been battling over the name “Kylie” for both of their brands in fashion, music and cosmetics.

Minogue has been performing as the one and only “Kylie” since before Jenner was born in 1997.

Overall of Minogue’s career, according to Billboard, the singer has sold more than 65 million albums, won Grammy Awards, Brit Awards and she was inducted to the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2011.

Whereas Jenner, who was introduced to reality television in 2007, is a reality star from “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” and half sister of Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian.

Jenner has her own cosmetics line entitled “Kylie,” but her self-titled brand didn’t sit well with Minogue.

According to the BBC, the battle began in April 2015 when Jenner registered the name “Kylie” in the U.S. for “advertising services” and “endorsement services” with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in her cosmetics line.

Also from the BBC, Minogue filed a notice of opposition citing possible confusion for the fans and damage to her brand.

An example of where the confusion may lie between the two Kylies is Jenner’s lip kit cosmetics titled “Kylie.”

According to NY Daily News, Minogue has many self-titled brands from jewelry, clothes, dolls, furniture and perfume and she even has own her website, www.kylie.com, which she has owned since 1996, a year before Jenner was born.

Minogue’s legal representatives sent the USPTO a list of reasons why the trademark shouldn’t be granted to Jenner after she had already applied to trademark her first name according to the Daily Mail.

“Kylie Minogue is known worldwide simply as ‘Kylie’ and has been in the entertainment business since 1979,” said Rebecca Gan, Minogue’s attorney.

Also in the letter, Gan continues to describe Minogue and states, “she is an internationally renowned performing artist, humanitarian and breast cancer activist, while Jenner is a  secondary reality television personality who shares controversial posts on social media.”

According to The Mail On Sunday, Minogue won legal battle over the trademark name.

The publication claims that the Patent Office officially rejected Jenner’s trademark application. But Jenner’s team decided to go against this decision and Jenner, who wants the name for beauty and clothing line, has already lodged an appeal.

Kylie Minogue has technically been the most famous “Kylie” since the 1980s and is often simply known by her first name and she made sure it continues that way according to E! News.

As for Jenner, she runs her own cosmetics line called Kylie Cosmetics, which was launched last year and she also shares fashion line with her sister, Kendall Jenner. According to CNBC, reporters have approached both Jenner and Minogue’s legal representatives asking if they is a possible settlement between the two, but neither team did not respond.