‘Heart of campus’ is back as library reopens for fall

2144
0
The Irving Goleman Library on Delta College's campus.

“The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of the past centuries.”

Rene Descartes

Dr. Irving Goleman of Delta College’s Goleman Library believed that libraries were “sacred centers preserving wisdom,”according to the building’s history — and he couldn’t be more right.

When the Delta College Library closed due to the pandemic, many students lost more than just a place to study — they lost a sacred space.

Since 1973 the library has provided a space for students to reflect, absorb, organize, and immerse themselves in work. Without the availability of that space, student life lacked a crucial element. But students are not the only ones lacking this essential element, the staff feels this as well.

As Librarian and Coordinator of Collection Development Dr. Josefina Gomez walked through the recently reopened library, she discussed the new additions Delta has been working on to encourage a more wholesome and healthy learning environment. What she really provided was insight into the depthful role the library plays here on campus.

“In many ways the library is the heart of the campus. Whether you’re studying nursing, communications or math — the library is where you come to gather information on a wide range of subjects. But it’s not just information the library provides, it’s a service. We as librarians don’t come into this business with the expectation to be rich, we do it because we enjoy what we do.”.

Gomez said the library staff at Delta College is committed to providing students with anything they need to fulfill their educational endeavors.

From recommending materials, learning how to cite information and even scouring through the various databases of information librarians collect and index. Librarians play a key role in helping students develop research skills, she said.

When the pandemic hit the staff had to work diligently to provide that same service to the best of their ability, and they did so with determination on their side. They began the program called Library Express where they utilized the technology available to them to provide many of the same services provided before the pandemic.

Since materials weren’t available in person, the staff had to increase online content and develop larger databases with content for the variety of subjects Delta students may require. This meant scouring through an expansive amount of content to find relevant, and useful information from audio-visual materials to e-books. They had their work cut out for them but with the help of their dedication — they prevailed.

Now after a year and a half of working through the variety of obstacles that presented themselves the library staff is happy to be back, and with some notable additions. Some of the additions, like plexiglass and the self-attestation (students can also use the RAVE app for a Covid screener), are in place to maintain a “Covid-free” environment. But the others are aimed at cultivating a better learning environment for students.

Those previously familiar with the Delta library might notice the first floor no longer has carpet. It was removed to allow students working downstairs the freedom to snack while studying. And it was also done as preparation for the opening of the revamped Java Jitters cafe.

The area directly to the right of the first floor will be dedicated to providing nourishment in the form of blended coffees and snacks for students studying on the first floor. Before these renovations, there was no food or drink allowed beyond a small portion of the library but now students can take their sustenance to any area of the library without carpet.

“I’m definitely looking forward to being able to munch downstairs, most of the time I’ll take my food to an area of the courtyard. I think being able to eat while studying will bring more people to the library for sure,” states Delta Student, Pedro Flores.

There is also a plan to integrate a new version of a student ID that would act as an all-in- one card. This new card would be your library card, print card, financial aid card and will even serve as a bus pass that allows Delta students to ride the RTD transit for free.

Instructional Support Assistant- Renee Olson, noted a significant change in operation in the library hours, before the pandemic the location was open an average of 60 hours a week but now it is down to about 24 hours a week.

Although there’s no timeline in place for some additions or hours of operation, hopes are aimed at next year.

Hope has been a hallmark of this entire pandemic — without a safety net to fall back on; students and staff alike have utilized hope to maintain resilience. But as the heart of campus begins to beat again, we can rest assured that the rest of campus is soon to follow.

“The library has been so versatile, I can’t express enough how vital the resources were in helping me research for papers. From videos to databases, the library offers it all — all while providing a comforting environment to do so,” health science major Talia Diaz.