Women’s soccer extends win streak to 13

2753
0
Mustangs defender Kaylah Howard dribbles the ball on right field chased by Sacramento City's Madison Lopez at the Delta College Soccer Complez in Stockton, Calif. on Oct. 12, 2021. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

Delta’s women’s soccer team remains undefeated as it continues to showcase dominance on the field.

The Mustangs (13-0) are the only team in the state so far to win all of their games and seek to further improve their performance as the season edges closer to its final phase.

Currently the team possesses a 4-0 conference record after its most recent wins against Sacramento City College and American River College.

The Mustangs share first place with Sierra College in its run for the Big 8 title.

While glad that the team is getting results, head coach Adrienne Sorenson wants to continue getting more out of her players as competition begins to get tougher.

“I’m definitely pleased, but not satisfied with where we are,” said Sorenson. “It’s exciting because I think this group has a lot more [to give] and a lot better that they can become. We don’t want to peak too early, and we definitely haven’t yet.”

Trying to find flaws in a team that’s undefeated and has won every game can prove to be a challenge for any coach.

Sorenson considers her coaching staff essential for this reason as it helps her find things the team needs to improve on.

Mustangs forward Jada Romero prepares to send the ball forward in an offensive play during the Delta vs. Sacramento City game on Oct. 12, 2021. at Delta College in Stockton, Calif. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

This combined with the players’ desire to continue raising their performance on the field has been a key factor for the Mustangs in getting the results they’ve had this season.

“I have an awesome coaching staff. I feel like all of us are pretty good at identifying the spots where we could be better, and honestly the players are too. The players aren’t satisfied with where they are,” said Sorenson. “The group as a whole, the coaching staff definitely sees things that they could be doing better.”

The women’s soccer team has set itself up as one of the most important teams to watch out for in the state.

According to the most recent poll from the California Community College Sports Information Association (CCCSIA) posted on Oct. 18, the Mustangs are ranked first in California jumping ahead of current state champion Santiago Canyon.

Even as the team gains more statewide recognition, the players still aren’t content with their current level of play and want to keep getting better.

“I don’t think we’re ever satisfied and I think that’s why we’re so good because we always want more, we want to win more, we want more goals, just more in general,” forward Isabella Saavedra said. 

As a team which has scored so many goals this season, competition for a spot in the starting lineup is very tight on offense.

Saavedra finds competition within the team has helped the players improve at practice and on the field, which helps the team reach a high performance level as a whole.

“I think it just makes us all better when there’s that much competition. You have no reason but to work even harder and focus even more and do your best.” said Saavedra.

The Mustangs will face Diablo Valley College this afternoon in a non-conference matchup at 2 p.m. before heading to Folsom Lake for their next conference game on Oct. 26.