Delta College launches wine hospitality program for the spring semester

851
0
IMAGE FROM FREEPIK.COM

It’s time for wine to shine at Delta College.

This semester, the Culinary Arts department has launched three new Wine Hospitality courses taught by Tracey Emery Berkner. These courses offer the opportunity to expand one’s knowledge and understanding of wine. 

“Delta College will offer wine hospitality courses for the first time this spring, an exciting opportunity for workers in the restaurant and tourism industries to increase their earnings, and for wine lovers in general to learn more about one of their favorite pastimes,” said a release from the  San Joaquin Delta College’s website. 

With the robust and interest in wine and viticulture, these courses allow students to earn a degree or certificate in wine hospitality. 

Wine hospitality courses are usually offered in the evening from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. varying from which course the student is interested in. Currently, Delta College is offering three courses for Spring 2022.

The courses are Introduction to Viticulture (CUL ART 31), Wine Service for the Hospitality Professional (CUL ART 91), and Food and Wine Pairing (CUL ART 92).

Delta College’s proximity to both the Lodi and Napa viticulture areas make it fertile ground for the rooting of such a program. Winegrape growing in the Lodi area accounts for “approximately 20.5% of all the winegrapes in California,” according the the Lodi Winegrape Commission, which represents the interest of winegrowers in the region.

Moreover, the commission said “just over 12% of all wine sold in the U.S” including import products “is grown in Lodi.”

“The Lodi Wine group asked if we can help educate people that are at most interested in wine, and become more knowledgeable,” said Berkner, a Culinary Arts Associate Adjunct Professor.

This is the first semester the Wine Hospitality courses are being introduced. For now the courses are easing into the history and background of viticulture and wine-making history. 

Some wine courses have a requirement where the student must be at the age of 21 years old in order to participate in the wine-tasting process. 

However, if an individual is interested in the process of wine-making or planning to expand their knowledge, “these wine hospitality courses were involved in several years of planning” according to San Joaquin Delta College.

This allows the opportunity for tourists and wine connoisseurs to enroll into their favorite subject.