Optimism toward season grows for Delta baseball

2057
0
Delta second baseman Jahlil Brice reaches to tag Modesto's Mac Cabero for an out on March 10, 2022 in Stockton. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

With a deep roster of players at its disposal, Delta College’s baseball team has high expectations for this season, though the team is still trying to find a way to reach its maximum potential.

Head Coach Reed Peters sees in his team a group of very good baseball players, but thinks the team has to work on maintaining their best level of play in each game.

“At times I think we’re improving and at times I think we’re going the wrong way. We’re very inconsistent right now, and that’s what we’re going to have to figure out if we’re going to make the run for another title. Whether it’s executing on offense or throwing more strikes, it’s as simple as that,” said Peters. “When we’re on we’re really good, but we’ve had moments of both [good and bad].”

Getting some base hits is among the key points Peters thinks his team needs to solve in order to diversify offense.

The head coach said the players need to focus on getting better at hitting to get on base as opposed to just swinging for the fences.

There are 10 players on the team who have hit at least one homer.

The Mustangs have hit a total of 94 extra base hits and 24 home runs so far in the season.

“We’re more of a power team … you’ve got to learn to manufacture some stuff and that’s what we’re still working on. We’ve just got to get better at it,” said Peters.

On the defensive, Peters is confident about the team’s performance on the mound with pitchers Seth Tomczak and Connor Semone.

“Seth’s got a good arm. He’s a 90 mile an hour guy with a good slider and usually pretty good command, so we like our chances when he’s out there. Semone has a tremendous change up … they’re both really capable of beating anyone on any given day,” Peters added.

Whether or not the Mustangs are on their best game, unity and effort is considered an essential element for the players when it comes to the success of the team.

“I think everyone plays their part on the team,” said Semone. “Whether it’s the team being down or a certain player comes through and the dugout is loud or whatever it is, we seem to find a way. That’s what good teams do.”

Semone has picked up the most strikeouts for the Mustangs with 52 and seeks to keep this momentum going for the rest of the season.

The early commit to the University of Kansas seeks to continue improving, and the other pitchers on the team seeking to earn a spot on the lineup only pushes him to work harder.

“It helps being out here with the guys. Everyone’s pushing each other to work harder and be better, so definitely everyone’s pushing me harder to get there,” said Semone.

Delta will visit Sacramento City College tomorrow in its next game before squaring off at home against Folsom Lake on March 29.