Softball struggles in battle for top Big 8 spots

1955
0
Delta pitcher Madison Nelson throws a pitch against Reedley College on March 20 at the Delta College campus in Stockton. PHOTO BY CHRISTINA GOODMAN

Delta’s softball team beat Reedley college in a double-header on March 20  with the first game going 3-0 and the second game 9-1. 

In the first inning of game one, Nicole Gardner doubled on a ground ball to the left fielder Julianna Moreno.  Danyelle Godoy, Cheyenne Washington and Nicole Gardner scored all the points needed in the bottom of the first inning. Throughout the rest of the innings Delta was able to maintain its lead over Reedley with the help of pitcher Madison Nelson. 

“We played well and were able to score early and keep the lead,” said Head Coach Jim Fisher.

In the second game, Reedley scored one single run and Delta scored nine runs. In the bottom of the first inning, Mikaela Ferreira scored the first run followed by Godoy. 

The bottom of the second inning Ferreira scored again and in the following innings, Myra Toledo and Mikayla Guarasico made it 4-1. 

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Delta maintained its lead.  The team saw runs in by bringing it home with three runs by Toledo, Ferreia and Godoy scoring making it 9-1.  

It was a “much better offensive approach and coming from Sunday which is abnormal for a game,” said Fisher. 

A proud dad and fan had something to say about the game as well. 

“She played good defense and hit the ball really well. The offensive teams played well, I’m proud of the Lady Mustangs,” said Daniel Godoy about Danyelle. “Go Delta!” 

“I feel really good that day getting on the board early and having a good defense,” said pitcher Madison Nelson. Catcher Sydney Featherstone agreed. 

“I’m very happy. [The] energy was high for defense and offense was very productive,” said Featherstone.

As of March 22, the Lady Mustangs are currently 10-11 and in sixth place of the Big 8 Conference.