Stretch that body and jump right into the groove

1312
0
People at home or in office stretching and relaxing during break isolated flat cartoon characters at workplace. Vector workers doing exercises to reduce stress and tiredness, standing and sitting

Stretch that body! 

Whether it be when you wake up in the morning or after a nap, one of the first things people usually do; mostly subconsciously, is that quick full-body stretch. 

After all, it does feel refreshing to stretch out those limbs after being in such a relaxed state for so long. 

That shouldn’t be the only time you stretch. 

Some might think stretching is only for when you exercise, but it isn’t. You can do it anywhere at any time and treat it as a little break from what you are doing. 

“Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy, and we need that flexibility to maintain a range of motion in the joints. Without it, the muscles shorten and become tight. Then, when you call on the muscles for activity, they are weak and unable to extend all the way. That puts you at risk for joint pain, strains, and muscle damage,” according to a Harvard Health Publishing article published on March 14. 

As we continue to age, it’s important to incorporate some daily stretches especially if you are on the less active side. That lack of stretching is going to limit your range of motion over time. We all felt that pain of muscle stiffness in the neck or aches in the lower back at some point in time and that’s due to inflexibility. 

It doesn’t matter what your daily routine looks like — stretching will benefit you one way or another.

Some might think you have to do a bunch of different poses for an extended amount of time but it really all comes down to you and your needs.

If you’re sitting at a desk, like me, try to extend your arms to the sky and lean back as this stretches your spine out. Maybe implement some neck circles here and there so it doesn’t feel stiff after a long day of stillness. Get up every now and then and release your back of tension by reaching for your feet and just hanging. 

Develop a list of simple stretches like these that fit you and your lifestyle. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate routine that you must follow religiously at a certain time but something you can do whenever you feel stressed and tense. 

It’s important to remember not to stretch to the point of pain and discomfort. 

Overall, simple things like this every day can improve your body and mind. Again, don’t think of it as a task you have to complete every day but as a break. So while you’re stretching just take a breath, unwind, and empty your mind of the things around you. 

Some benefits to note are:

• Improved flexibility
  • Reduced chances of injury
  • Boosts muscle blood flow
  • Increase in mobility 
  • Improve posture
  • Fewer aches and pains 
  • Less stress