Trans students not transparent

1535
0

The Delta Pride center recently held a Trans Visibility day event on March 29, during which they handed out free food and educated people on various important topics regarding the LGBTQ+ community. 

Although the event was small, it was informative. They handed out pamphlets about heavy topics such as what being transgender means, the different sexual orientations, pronoun usage, and more. 

LGBTQ+ representation has been a big topic of conversation on the Delta campus for a while now, and this conversation seemed to be stalling these past few years with there not even being a GSA club this semester.

But the Trans Visibility day event shows Delta’s continued effort to further this conversation, despite the challenges they’ve faced. 

The Delta Pride Center has been fighting to further this conversation and continue to make the campus a friendly place for people of every orientation, but they have faced many hurdles of their own, the biggest of these being a move-in location. 

“Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, one of the biggest obstacles the Pride Center had to overcome was getting a new space on campus. When we were located in the Shima building, the center would often exceed capacity and students wouldn’t come in because there was nowhere to sit or stand,” said student program specialist Jasmin Arroyo. “Ironically, our current challenge is rebuilding the Pride Center community to what it used to be. We’ve struggled to get students into our space or attend our events but we’re hopeful with the return to our new normal, more folks will join us.”

The event highlighted both the achievements of trans people, as well as health and safety tips.

“The Delta Pride Center aims to acknowledge the struggles that trans people can go through,” said Arroyo. 

This event is tangible evidence of the Delta Pride Center’s drive to deepen its connection with students again. More information about the pride center can be found online at deltacollege.edu/department/
delta-pride-center.