Mustangs soccer starting off strong this season

957
0

Delta women’s soccer team started off their season with a record of 8-1 as of Oct. 2022. 

The team has recently beat Cabrillo College on Sept. 30 and the players shared some comments on that win. 

“I was pretty excited when we won because Cabrillo did get better and we really didn’t expect that from them,” said Kayli Wilson, sophomore midfielder. “It was one of those games where it’s like you are on the edge of your seat and you are really engaged. So, it was really fun to watch and be involved in.”

In addition, Cabrillo College had negative expectations about the city of Stockton and Delta wanted to prove them wrong about that.  

“This was a fun game to win only because they know that we come from Stockton,” said Eliza Barocio, sophomore goalkeeper. “So, they have the expectations that Stockton is rude, mean and ghetto, but we went up there and showed them how we do it classy like we do every game and every team.”

The team has been working on growing everyday and improving more and more on each match as well. 

“I think the biggest thing for this group is that we’re trying to improve everyday with every match,” said Adrienne Sorenson, head coach of the soccer team. “Yeah, we’re excited about the season, but we’re more excited about growing everyday and improving a little with each match.”

As for the team’s motivation, the players try to push themselves to be better than their previous games and work harder and harder each day.

“Motivation for next games is just to get better and push ourselves more and just be better than the previous games,” said Taylor McMahon, sophomore midfielder and co-captain of the soccer team. 

In addition to that, the team cares more about a complete performance and their standard is about being perfect on the field.

“It’s just a total complete performance is what we’re looking for,” said Sorenson. “We have a lot of shutouts, but to us, that’s not really our standard. Our standard is trying to reach perfection and we haven’t done that yet.”

During soccer practice, the players coach and motivate each other throughout their sessions. Whether it’s kicking the ball around or playing practice games, the players push each other to work harder and harder everyday. 

Moreover, the team tries to connect more and help each other out throughout practice and the games.

“I think this year, we have a much better environment with the girls and our connections could be better and I think we are working on that as a team,” said McMahon. 

As for their goals for this season, the state championship is what they have in mind. 

“The goal is honestly just getting to state,” said Alondra Higareda, sophomore midfielder. “That’s what we play for and we play for each other. At the end of the day, state is the goal.”

The Mustangs have been on a six game winning streak as of Oct. 2022 and the team will continue on with their schedule by playing another away game on Oct. 4 against Modesto Junior College