Delta soccer focuses on playoffs, next season

708
0

Delta’s men’s soccer team is close to ending their regular season. As of November 5th, they’re 2-13-2. 

Brandon Masai, assistant head coach says there’s still a chance at the playoffs. “We had unfortunate results but we’re competing every game. With a few games left we still have an opportunity to go to playoffs.” said Masai. 

He also made the playoffs their goal at the moment. “With the expectation of winning league, I think it is not in the cards but bigger picture of playoffs there is potential to reach that goal. We have definitely fulfilled expectations to work to be better individually and as a team as the season progresses”

Masai also saw improvements from the team and is happy about it. “We have been playing our best soccer this season the past few games so I feel like we are in a really good position to make a run at post season,” said Masai. “We have guys working their way into a consistent starting 11 and finding joy in new positions.”

Delta center-back Anthony Tounou also saw improvements in the team. “I think especially the last few games we’ve improved a lot with applying concepts from the training ground,” said Tounou. “Our performances have looked much sharper and uniformed.”

The new athletes also picked up their rhythm this season with the help of the experienced athletes. Tonneau was one of those who helped out the new athletes. 

”I think the new guys have grown into the games more…” said Tounou. “…obviously learning to be more physical and that to win games now they’re going to need to grind out the full 90 minutes”

Masai hopes to bring back many of the freshman athletes next year and the free sports events helped out with this too. “We usually do our heavy recruiting in the winter during the high school season, but we have a freshman heavy team this year so we are hoping to bring back many of them.“

Tounou is a second-year student and he hopes to continue to play at a university. “Sac State and UOP are my academic options currently for the next semester,” said Tounou. “…but if any opportunity comes up to keep playing, I’m definitely going to be on that and looking at where I can play next. I don’t plan on stopping now!”