Delta Drama showing ‘Lysistrata,’ final show of fall semester, until Dec. 4

418
0

Students at Delta who enjoy theater and the fine arts are in for a treat coming very soon. Running through Dec. 4, students will be treated to a modern rendition of the 2,000-year-old Greek comedy play “Lysistrata.”

“Lysistrata is an ancient Greek play by Aristophanes on how women of Athens decide to put an end to war and go on a sex strike to gain the attention of their men and talk diplomacy,” said Alexa Hernandez, who is cast as Ismenia in the play. 

Director Karen Vance is nothing short of confident going into the play. “It has been a blast working with such a large cast of actors that have done a wonderful job rising to the broadness of comedy.” 

Delta Drama is heading into familiar waters with their upcoming production. With previous classics like “Cinderella” and “Frankenstein” brought to life it would be safe to assume “Lysistrata” will live up to the standard. 

“The lighting and sound effects change throughout the scenes, which is an important part of production,” said Stephanie Truong, who works behind the scenes. “It helps bring the scenes of the play to life.” Hopefully these aspects of the play will offer a more immersive experience for the viewer.

With Vance, who previously directed this past summer’s “Cinderella,” at the helm directing “Lysistrata,” audiences can expect a new original take on the ancient story. “‘Lysistrata’ is a play that I think is really fun for the young adult age demographic because of its sexual innuendos and literal jokes,” said Destiny Sutherland,a member of the tech crew.“Karen (our director) has altered the setting to be in California.”

“In our production we’ve transposed elements of contemporary California onto the story to give our audiences a clearer context for what the story is trying to say to us watching it today,” said Vance. 

“Lysistrata” runs for 1 hour and 30 minutes without intermission allowing for non-stop seamless comedy and entertainment for the audience. Delta’s Drama department offers classes in virtually every area of theater you can think of. All of these different high level skills like acting, lighting, sound, and stagecraft will be put on full display.

If you ever considered being involved in theater in any way, Delta has your back. 

“In the drama classes at Delta we offer a plethora of diverse classes. Whether you are looking to pursue a career in the performing arts or are looking for a fun elective, you will find something to pique your interest at Delta Drama,” said Vance. 

If you are interested in watching “Lysistrata” tickets are free and available online at the DCA Box Office, through deltadrama.com or by calling (209)954-5110.