Print media still serves vital role in digital-dominated world

529
0

Technology has become a staple and defining factor of the 21st century. With
access to technology being a widespread necessity, it is hard to escape screens. Apps have slowly run bookstores, libraries and print media almost out of business. Despite digital formats dominating media there is still a need for print today.

Reading print books rather than e-books has been linked to higher literacy rates. A study conducted by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, an intergovernmental organization aimed at creating policy for positive economic development, measured the literacy rates of teens across 30 countries using reading test scores. The study showed that students who said they often read did better than those who did not, but amongst those who often read, those who read print books scored much higher than those who only read e-books.

Reading print may allow the reader to retain more information than if they were to read the same in- formation digitally. A 2016 study conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland tested college students on their recall ability based on if they had studied via a print or digital source. Most students said that they mainly used digital sources and would likely have better recall when using them, however, researchers found that this was not the case. Students tested better when they used print sources.

There is also the fact that print materials create significantly less eye strain on the reader. The American Optometric Association says in reference to digital eye strain, also known as computer vision syndrome, “Viewing a computer or digital screen is different than reading a printed page. Often the letters on the computer or handheld device are not as precise or sharply defined, the level of contrast of the letters to the background is reduced, and the presence of glare and reflections on the screen may make
viewing difficult.” College students spend plenty of time in front of screens doing schoolwork and attending classes, and taking a break from that strain can be very beneficial.

Lastly, physical books and materials create a sense of comfort for the reader. Book lovers often develop attachments to the books they read, and having a physical copy that you can mark, display, and call your own is a nice feeling.

Whether you read print materials or digital ones is a matter of personal preference, but even in a
digital age we still have a need and want for print.