Vandals strike with fire extinguisher during winter break

474
0
A broken window outside of Shima. Vandals smashed windows in Atherton and Shima using a fire extinguisher on two seperate occasions during winter break. PHOTOS COURTESY OF TARA CUSLIDGE-STAIANO

Prior to the start of the Spring semester, Delta faced waves of vandalism and stolen property, with a total of six windows broken in Shima and one outside the Atherton Auditorium.

“Five in Shima took place during New Year’s weekend, during heavy storms and power outages. We believe they occurred late at night,” said Police Sergeant and Public Information Officer Jim Bock. 

“One in Atherton took place during the campus closure (caused by storms) in the late night hours between Jan. 9 and 10. One in Shima took place late at night between Jan. 11 and 12.”

The attacks didn’t happen in one night but on separate occasions. 

“Due to the manner in which the vandalism occurred, we believe they are all connected to the same subject,” said Bock.

With Campus Police patrolling during graveyard hours, during the flood, power outage, and the falling of 12 trees, cameras were on.

“When the glass was broken it was so far back it didn’t trigger the motion sensors,” said Bock.

The back of the art gallery, office windows in Shima 114 and 136, and a classroom in Shima 109, were all damaged. 

There have been no repairs on the windows besides wooden boards covering the broken glass.

With nobody but police scouting the campus, the vandal might have been alerted by an officer’s keys rattling.

“We are always diligent throughout the night,” said Bock.

The fire extinguisher across the hall from Shima 114 was also stolen, leaving traces of red residue on the windows. 

This fire extinguisher is believed to be the cause of the broken windows according to Bock.

An individual was arrested with stolen property from Delta and the possessions of a burglar. 

If you have any information or concerns, you can contact Delta Campus Police at 209-954-5000 or extension 5000.

Delta students are automatically enrolled in police notifications through their Delta emails. Phone numbers as well can be opted in by texting “MustangAlert” to 226787.