Counseling Only Sees Walk-ins During First Week

270
0

Delta College only offered  counselors walk-in appointments  only for the first week of the semester, a departure from the appointment model students have known.. 

“The walk-ins only was just during the first week of class,” said Alex Breitler, Delta’s director of marketing and communication.

Although the walk-ins were only for a week, the system caused a lot of inconveniences, particularly when considering how the semester started, particularly the weather. 

The semester started with  floods across  San Joaquin County, including in Stockton, Tracy, and Lodi.. Other places have suffered the aftermath of two weeks of nearly nonstop storms, with potholes and destroyed roads.

A lot of Delta students and staff come from other cities and these roads probably just prevent them from getting to campus to see a counselor. No virtual options were available to talk to counselors.

These events passed but some places are still being affected. Under certain conditions, certain people from certain areas won’t be able to get to Delta for a counselor appointment.

Walk-ins for the first week weren’t the best idea either because of time. Walk-ins mean that there will be more students waiting. This also meant that counselors couldn’t take their time to help out their students properly. Through appointments, they can take longer periods of time with students

I believe if they were going to have walk-ins, they should’ve stuck to that for more weeks. I think 1 week is simply too little time for walk-ins considering how many students Delta College has. 

Since there are a lot of students, it would basically be impossible to attend all of them in 1 week. Every student would need help at some point so having the walk-ins for 1-2 months would at least help a chunk of students go get the help they need. 

It’s not a completely  bad idea to have walk-ins, I just feel like the timing was inconvenient due to the storms. If more time was given for walk-ins, it could’ve worked out much better than how it currently worked.