Students find respite at Danner Hall gaming area

738
0
Students have access to television screens to play their gaming devices inside Danner Hall. PHOTO BY CHRISTINA GOODMAN

Delta College has an area dedicated to gamers located in Danner Hall, on the first floor near the front doors that lead to the quad. 

It gives students a space to take a break in between classes to relax and enjoy the company of other students in their spare time. Students bring their own gaming consoles to campus and hook up to the screens provided.

Alex Breitler, Delta’s director of Marketing and Communications provided information about the gaming area. 

“A Danner Hall revitalization committee was formed, and one of the ideas that came from that group was to create a gaming lounge,”  said Breitler. “The group decided that it would be cool to install a student mural in that area and opened up a contest to Delta students to design the mural. We just wanted to make sure that they had a place they could go between classes, hang out and have fun.”

Students have been taking full advantage of the opportunity.

“For me at least, this corner serves as a good place for me to play some games, hang out with friends and easily meet new like-minded people,” said freshman Ryan Vutthy.

Another student, Jacob Fernando, agreed. 

“I feel like this gaming wall is a real safe place where I can hangout with others like me in college and from other walks of life,” said Fernando.

Students were involved in the creation of the space from the start, too.

“A student named Liv Yee won the contest for their design of the mural that you now find in the gaming area. The mural was installed, the monitors were set up, and the rest is history,” said Breitler.

“I guess the bottom line is that it wasn’t a single person who came up with this idea… It was a whole group of folks including both students and employees,” said Breitler “Shortly after all of this work was done, COVID-19 came about and we didn’t have very many students on campus to enjoy the new space. Hopefully now that we have more students on campus, the gaming area is being utilized more and folks are having fun with it. I know that almost every time I go into Danner I see people playing games there so I think that is a good sign.”