Public COVID testing site will remain

396
0
Covid-19 testing for the public continues this semester in the Shima 2 parking lot. PHOTO BY CHRISTINA GOODMAN

Since Feb. 8, 2021 Delta has offered Covid-19 testing in the Shima 2 parking lot and the planned cut off day was Aug. 8, 2021.

The testing site caused long lines that had people waiting for hours and sometimes causing difficulties to students and staff trying to access campus.

Since then, the demand for testing has visibly slowed, with the Shima 2 lot now most often occupied by barriers, a single storage crate and two nearby cars.

Testing is still available, however, with some extra services.

“COVID-19 testing is still available in Shima 2, though a different company is now offering the service as of last December,” said Alex Breitler, Delta College’s director of marketing and communication. 

“One new feature is that the Shima 2 testing now also includes some treatment assistance options for those who test positive.”

The Shima 2 “Test-to-Treat” site is open to the general public Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“The site offers not only testing, but also treatment options and medication (if eligible) for those who test positive,” said Breitler.  

Students and staff have an additional option available, however, in the Locke Lounge Test Center.

“It’s very important to remember that the Shima testing is for the general public,” Breitler said. 

“We encourage Delta College students and staff to utilize the Locke Lounge test center since all results are integrated into our COVID-19 tracking system.”