Delta baseball comes up short

302
0
Hitter Brenden O’Sullivan goes for a hit on the box. PHOTO BY BRYAN RAMOS

The Delta baseball team played at home versus Folsom Lake on March 30. Delta gave it their all, but came up short.

In the first inning, Delta started off with their pitcher Conner Semone on the mound. Semone striked out three opponents in the first inning but that didn’t stop Folsom from scoring two points. Delta started to pick up momentum after Dominic Rodriguez hit the bar far enough to let two of his teammates make it to home base and make it 2-2 towards the end of the first inning.

Pitcher William Watson goes for a pitch from the mound. PHOTO BY BRYAN RAMOS

In the second inning, Delta fell behind again. Towards the end of the inning, Delta were close to tying it but a foul ball hit by Grant McArthur got caught and left the Mustangs behind 5-4.

The third inning consisted of both teams fighting hard to get a point in but neither of the teams were able to and it ended up staying 0-0 for that inning, with Folsom still taking the lead 5-4 overall. 

Delta had an excellent run in the fourth inning. Conner Semone struck out three Folsom hitters in a row. Later in the inning, Delta managed to tie it up 5-5 after Cody Borraggine got out, which gave a chance for their teammate from third base to come home and it stayed like that for the inning.

Delta started off the first inning with Semone striking out three Folsom hitters in a row. Delta eventually gets three outs also and the fifth inning finishes scoreless.

Delta repeated the same thing in the sixth inning with Semone once again striking out three hitters in a row but also ended up being out three times which concluded another scoreless inning.

The baseball team and staff walk on-field to form a huddle after their loss to Folsom Lake on March 30. PHOTO BY BRYAN RAMOS

The action ratcheted up in intensity for the seventh inning. With Brenden O’Sullivan pitching and William Watson helping the outfield keep out two Folsom players, Delta took the advantage as Folsom failed to catch the ball. Dominic Rodriguez was able to make two bases as it happened. Delta had the lead and were winning 5-6.

The eighth inning unfortunately hit Delta with a low blow. Individual mistakes made by Delta’s field players led to Folsom scoring 2 points and fell behind 7-6.

Delta tried to give it their all in the ninth inning. Three strikeouts in a row against Delta sealed the game and unfortunately lost 7-6 at home.