Softball team seeks improvement after loss

385
0

On April 4, Delta’s softball team lost to Sacramento City College Panthers 9-5. 

Knowing the Panthers’ style from the previous game, sophomore Danyelle Godoy knew “coming out with mental toughness” was going to drive the team from inning to inning.

The Mustangs were off to a rocky start in the first inning after the Panthers scored one point leading Mustangs coach Jim Fisher to call a timeout and tell his in-field team to “reset and relax.” Overall for sophomore pitcher Madison Nelson, it allowed her to, “just spin the ball and trust my defense.”

At the bottom of the first inning, freshman Caitlynn Campball started the Mustangs off with an electrifying hit down the third base line and stealing two bases. Sophomore Alle Perea hit the ball to left field allowing Campball to run home and score the Mustangs’ first run. 

Then came freshman Morgan Grupe with a swift walk to first base leaving Perea on second, followed by sophomore Dessa Zavala blasting the ball in the air right field and falling to the ground due to an error by the Panthers. With the bases full, sophomore Sydney Featherston swept in with a beautiful double to the center-left field, bringing in her three fellow teammates and ending the first inning 4-1 Mustangs.

By the third inning, the Panthers were able to jump back into the game with three runs tying the score 4-4. 

“I just tell everybody, ‘Hey let’s just relax, take a breath and just look at each other and rely on each other,’” said Campball on how she helps buckle the team down from behind the plate as the team’s leading catcher and tense third inning.

The Mustangs paved more by the bottom of the fourth inning with Godoy hitting a clean single to left field. Freshman Cheyenne Torrez continued the streak hitting a successful single right by the Panthers’ shortstop. Campball with great veracity was able to drive Godoy in with a swift double to center field on another error made by the Panthers, ending the inning 5-4 Mustangs. 

Slowly the winds shifted and energy from the Panthers escalated, allowing them to score in the last two innings and ending the game 9-5 Panthers.

Although a loss the Mustangs saw much improvement as a team with a solid effort.