Delta awarded grant from National Science Foundation

303
0

Delta College has been awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to conduct campus-based research on native bee populations.

Biology professor Dr. Paul Ustach will lead the lab project with the help of two student interns. 

“Research is a great opportunity for students to immerse themselves in science,” says Dr. Ustach. 

Ustach and his student interns are tasked with identifying existing bee species on campus. Instead of tracking the more widespread domestic honey bee, this project aims to gather data on other native bees in the area. 

While domestic honey bees primarily pollinate the many food crops found in the San Joaquin Valley, native bees play a more significant role in the region’s greater biodiversity. According to Ustach, local native bees pollinate local plant life instead of the highly cultivated crops pollinated by standard honey bees. 

The project’s goal is to identify these unique bee species found on Delta’s campus and compare them to other bee species found nearby.

With this knowledge, Ustach and his interns will be able to create more inviting habitable conditions on campus for these native species. 

“This project sets the foundation for transforming urban landscapes into suitable habitats, increasing chances for a more stable and diverse ecosystem,” said Ustach.

The project will be conducted until the end of summer and will be presented in “research seminar format.” Other community colleges throughout the state of California will also be participating in this research and presenting their findings. 

According to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), wild bee populations have been steadily declining since 1990. The GBFI says that this decline in native bee populations poses threats to the stability of the ecosystem. 

The NSF’s grant will provide Delta faculty and students with an opportunity to address local sustainability issues all while providing unique research opportunities that are not often available on community college campuses.

While many four-year institutions provide students with fieldwork opportunities in their pursuit of science degrees, the opportunity to engage with this type of fieldwork is less available for students who opt to attend a community college and transfer. 

Delta’s Board of Trustees listed their “increased awareness of the importance of involving community college students in undergraduate research” in the Memorandum of Understanding attached to this grant approval during a meeting on Mar. 21.

The NSF’s “Campus as a Living Lab” grant has involved various college campuses all over the country in similar scientific research work. 

According to the California State University website, there is over 68 ongoing “Campus as a Living Lab” research projects at 21 out of the 23 CSU campuses.