Delta fields talks still in progress

475
0

It’s been a year or so since Delta sports teams had a competitive game in their own fields. 

For the past two seasons or so, Delta’s sports teams have only been training on their fields and they’re currently playing games at University of the Pacific. The Delta baseball, softball, and track and field teams are the current teams affected by this.

According to the PowerPoint presented on the July 16, 2022 board meeting, some of the defects on the fields include raised track areas making it a tripping hazard. Other damages for other fields include worn out carpet on the baseball/softball field and lettering on the end zones of the football field being 2 inches shorter, which both are tripping hazards

Delta’s fields are now in the process of being fixed, it’s just a matter of time. 

Tony Espinoza, Delta Athletics Director, said the timeline will be finalized once he gets more details. 

“We are currently working with facilities and the bridging architect to finalize the project before it goes out to bid,” he said. “Once they identify a contractor, we will finalize a timeline.”

The PowerPoint presentation on March 2nd, 2023,stated that Siegfried is the Bridging Architect firm that’s working with the district for the request for a qualification proposal.

According to the PowerPoint presented at the Sept. 6, 2022 board meeting, the estimated cost for the fields and irrigation is $12,059,643.

As of April 18th, there are no recent estimates yet of the cost.

“There is no clear cost estimate for the fields yet because there’s no agreement yet. “Once finalized, I’m assuming the details will be discussed at an upcoming board meeting,” explained Espinoza when asked about a rough cost estimate of the field repairs. 

Espinoza said that this specific meeting about the field costs will take place depending “…on when the project is finalized.”

This could mean that Delta’s athletic teams can go back to playing home games in their true home field in the next couple of years.