Stockton gets ready to celebrate cinco de mayo

657
0

Cinco de Mayo is coming up soon. Many think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexican independence day. Mexican independence day actually falls on Sept. 16.

Cinco de Mayo is actually celebrated because the Mexican army defeated the French army in the Battle of Puebla back in 1862. According to History.com, the battle lasted from dawn to dusk and the French eventually retreated. This was a historic victory and sparked the resistance movement in Mexico.

The U.S. also helped out Mexico by sending their soldiers down and by putting political pressure on France.

According to the New York Times, Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican heritage. This holiday is celebrated by Mexican-Americans in the U.S. and is also celebrated in Puebla, where the battle took place. 

According to History.com, it is celebrated a lot in the U.S. because Chicano activists in the 60’s wanted to raise awareness as they saw it as a symbolic victory for the indigenous population against European colonizers.

There are quite a few fun ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Car shows/truck shows:

Car shows have been popular among Mexicans too, especially among Chicanos.

Truck meets have been on the rise lately between Mexican-Americans, being similar to lowriders. You can always just find them driving around with the flags waving in the street!

Festivals: 

Cinco de mayo festivals and parades will pop up most likely when the date gets closer. But according to visitstockton.com, there will be a cinco de mayo festival hosted at the Weber Point Events Center from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on May 7. This is a great event to attend with family.

Carne asada:

Cinco de mayo falls on a Friday this year so that’s a good day to have a carnita asada/barbeque in your yard with some friends and just spend quality time. 

Sports:

The Stockton Ports will play at their home, Banner Island Park,against the Fresno Grizzlies on May 5 too. According to VIsit Stockton’s website, the game will promote Cinco de Mayo. The game starts at 7:05 p.m. If you’re not into festivals or other things like that, going to a sports game can be a fun thing to do with friends and/or family.