By Maria Martinez

Diana Hernandez, born and raised in Stockton, is an insurance business owner and a proud Latina business woman who learned how to manage time for full-time work, while taking care of her newborn and toddler. 

Diana Hernandez owns an insurance office in Downtown Stockton. Her sisters Disenia Hernandez and Joana Hernandez are her hardworking employees. 

Hernandez has always dreamed?  of owning her business in Stockton, because she feels comfortable in the city. 

Hernandez said she is grateful for her sisters’ help in the business.

“They both came to this field to help me in my times of need,” she said.

The family support is amazing because Hernandez truly trusts the people closest to her and is able to get her responsibilities done. 

Although it was difficult at first for her to get used to her new routine of being a mother and a business woman, she feels confident in her skills.

“Luckily because I own my own business, I have the flexibility to do both. Stay home when I need to stay home, come to work when I need to come to work and I feel like it took me a whole year to figure out how to balance that…,” she said.

Balance can be intense at times because unexpected events can happen at the office or in general. Fortunately, Hernandez is very close to her family and has the trust to ask them for assistance when she needs it the most. 

“I have a lot of family support and that’s what helps me manage my business and my mom life,” she said.

Hernandez’s siblings feel comfortable working at the office because they get to work with each other, get out of their comfort zone, talk to customers, and learn many new skills together. 

“It is very nice to work with my siblings, it is a different experience compared to working with other people,” said older sister Disenia Hernandez.

Younger sister Joanna said there are advantages of working with her sisters.

“During lunchtime, I either go out and pick up my children, my sister’s daughter if she’s covering here or she will go and pick them up, which is a benefit of working with your siblings,” she said.

The sisters work as a team in and out of the office to help each other succeed. 

They’re all fluent in English and Spanish, meaning they can help Latinos and Spanish-speaking customers. 

In addition, Diana Hernandez works outside the office all the time because that helps her stay on track with her business. 

“I’m constantly checking emails, accounts or getting phone calls,” she said.

Hernandez’s extended family means she can ask her other family members if one of them is not available to take care of her children. 

“So it’s a mixture of my mother-in-law or my mom but I have a long line of family that’s willing to watch them,” she said.

Hernandez ends her day by leaving her office, picking up her younger son Hunter from school, taking him to piano lessons, then taking him and his brother Mateo home, where her mother-in-law cares for the children. 

Hernandez uses her time wisely by working when her friend who also helps her with Hunter.

“I have a friend who works at the school and she is willing to drop them off at school,” she said.  Diana’s Double Life as a mother and a business woman is impressive because she lives in two different worlds that connect as one.

Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Joanna Hernandez at the coffee table before starting her shift at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Disenia Hernandez helping a Spanish-speaking customer with their monthly car insurance payment at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Disenia Hernandez checking documents from the manila folder at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez and Mateo waiting in the car for Hunter to finish his piano lesson.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez takes Mateo outside to spend some quality time with him before she returns to Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez's younger sister named Joanna Hernadez helping a father and son with their car insurance at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Joanna Hernandez and Disenia Hernandez working as a team and discussing a client's payment at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez’s awards and certificates that she has received over the years at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
This is a picture of the street where Diana’s Insurance Business is located in Stockton.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Joanna Hernandez printing documents and Disenia Hernandez helping a customer at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
A customer walking into Diana’s Insurance Business on a Thursday afternoon.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez and Joana Hernandez working as a team and discussing a costumers payment at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Joanna Hernandez organizing documents on the desk where she always works at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Disenia Hernandez on the phone with a client and making appointments on the office calendar at Diana’s Insurance Business.
Diana's Double Life
Diana's Double Life
Diana Hernandez working at Diana’s Insurance Business, meanwhile her sister Disenia Hernandez is picking up her son from school.