Stockton high school students at Delta College’s Youth Leadership Conference on Apr. 28. PHOTO BY CHRISTINA GOODMAN

Delta College hosted the Youth Leadership Conference at the Dolores Huerta Plaza on April 28. The event was to welcome all San Joaquin County students from 8th grade to 12th grade. 

Most high schools from San Joaquin County attended the conference. However, over 375 high school students came to Delta’s campus, and 197 of those students enrolled at Delta for Fall 2023. 

Resource Specialist for the Dreamers Success Center Tina Leal explained the importance of the event. Letting new students know that Delta offers great benefits and opportunities. 

“Basically, we just let them know that this community college should be their number one. We want to plant the seed and let them know that Delta is here, and we have an assortment of resources that go from basic needs to pride centers, the Dream Center, to career transfer, and I can go on and on. The reason why I do it is because I was born and raised in Stockton. And a lot of people don’t understand that we have this gold mine here with Delta College. Because when you come from the south side of Stockton, what you wanna do is leave Stockton right? But I want to change that for students and help give back to the community,” said Leal. 

New and current students can take advantage of the services that Delta offers. Even though this event is pitched to young undergrad students, some Delta students also attended the event to find some kind of guidance or career ideas. 

Edison high school graduate Stef Maldonado is in her first semester at Delta, studying to become a teacher’s aide for students with special needs.

“I am trying to receive the help that I do need. I’m trying to see more things I can be interested in. If the medical field doesn’t work out for me, I want to have a second option,” said Maldonado. 

Delta has been hosting the Youth Leadership Conference for more than 10 years. Once a year, this event is to give new students access to free student healthcare services, career guidance, academic support, and community support. Some professors were also present for the students who are interested in career-based courses.

There were 43 booths in attendance to help students access support. The booths in attendance were the Career Technical Education (CTE) and Workforce Development, San Joaquin Public Health Services, Extended Opportunity Programs & Services (EOPS), Puente Project, AFFIRM Program, Disability Support Programs & Services (DSPS), and many other programs/services. 

Delta’s Career Technical Education (CTE) and Workforce Development program were ushering young students to their table. The program trains and helps students to obtain certificates in technical career paths. Receiving certificates in accounting, architecture, engineering, POST academy, real estate, and many other programs. The CTE booth was handing out candy, different brochures for employment, and Delta school supplies.

San Joaquin Public Health Services came to the campus to educate students on community safety and health improvements. They have different support programs for STD/HIV patients, safety programs for low-income families, and support for people without medical insurance. They were handing out free COVID-19 tests and brochures about the PHS programs provided in San Joaquin County.