Coping mechanisms alleviate daily strains

459
0

Coping mechanism: “Any conscious or nonconscious adjustment or adaptation that decreases tension and anxiety in a stressful experience or situation. Modifying maladaptive coping mechanisms is often the focus of psychological interventions.” 

American Psychological Association Dictionary

When you’re stressed out from having too much on your plate, what do you do to take your mind off of it?.

With life you never know what’s going to happen and when it will happen as well.

Some might take a walk, listen to music or vent to someone. 

“Problem-Focused Coping: refers to an actionable way to handle a stressful situation, much like the behavioral approach to coping we just talked about. This technique allows us to focus on tackling the problem itself. Typically, this coping technique is employed when we have control over a situation (Baker & Berenbaum, 2007).” according to www.berkeley wellbeing.com. And here are some suggestions listed on the website.

Feeling overwhelmed with responsibilities? Try creating a schedule or to-do list.

Dealing with loneliness after a break-up? Try reaching out to some close friends or family members for social support. 

Struggling with work-life balance? Try talking to your employer about how to set up a more flexible schedule or healthy boundaries.

Stressed out about failing a class? Try delegating more hours of study time or forming a study group. 

Feeling extra sluggish due to a less nutritious diet?  Try meeting with a nutritionist or primary care provider for meals that are both easy to make and healthy.

“Personally what I do when mine has me in a chokehold is trying to figure out what is triggering it.” stated Camery Turner. Turner continues “I acknowledge it, validate “why” I’m feeling it, and then talk myself down from the ledge”

Turner continues “A lot of times for me my stress, depression and anxiety comes from overworking myself, insecurities or putting an excessive amount of pressure on myself.” 

“When school stress gets to me, I like to turn my attention to things that bring me joy. I love to spend time in the kitchen and cook comfort foods. I also love to use coloring books to pass time and be creative,” said Arianna Juarez, editor in chief at The Collegian.